Solar Cover Seam separated in a week: Solution -Keep or Replace?

mchartra

Bronze Supporter
Oct 8, 2013
Canton MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey gang. We are year 6 of pool ownership and the 3rd solar cover. The first one provided by the pool builder lasted 2 seasons. The replacement actually seemed to last longer getting 3+ years out of it.

Ordered a new one in April, installed it over Memorial Day weekend only to find that the seams all separated within a week. The first 2 covers were clear or blue. This one is 12Mil, black bubbles with a dark blue cover. Initially, I thought "wow -this looks to be good quality". InTheSwim is the manufacturer and I purchased it from ebay. 2 year full, 7 year prorated warranty under $200 delivered, taxes incl.

I contacted the seller requesting either a replacement thinking the bonding adhesive or whatever process they use to seam the width sections together had failed. I was provided with a return shipping label within a few hours but no further explanation. I now see that covers are pretty much sold out everywhere and if I wanted an alternative cover, it will cost the same price for an 8mil cover or over $300 for one with same warranty, silver diamond pattern.

Literally very few options and it seems prices have gone up 30-50% since April.

This got me thinking - maybe I am better off keeping the existing one as it might actually be easier to roll it up in strips instead of the full 20' width?

I'm also thinking mid-June in MI - best case, if I order another cover this year, I'll only get another 2 months use and then prepare for winter closure. I could always make my claim next year -well within the full replacement warranty. Hopefully by then, I've got more options.

Q:
1) Has anyone had their solar cover seams completely separate in less than 1 week? The other 2 covers did not do this.
2) Does anyone else have a cover that they roll out in sections rather than the full width? If so, how do you roll up each section? Still use a cover roller?
3) Would you return this cover and not bother with another for this season? OR buy the cheap 8mil replacement? I just don't see it worth spending over $300 for a cover which we all know, regardless of warranty won't last much more than 2-3 seasons.

Any thoughts, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!
Marc

Attachments

• 20210529_163749 (Large).jpg
    20210529_163749 (Large).jpg
    465 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210606_090521 (Large).jpg
    20210606_090521 (Large).jpg
    880.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210606_090540 (Large).jpg
    20210606_090540 (Large).jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210606_090553 (Large).jpg
    20210606_090553 (Large).jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210606_090609 (Large).jpg
    20210606_090609 (Large).jpg
    862.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210606_090635 (Large).jpg
    20210606_090635 (Large).jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 15
My pool is about 16' X 32'. I cut my cover down the middle seam, lengthwise, into two main sections (along with a smaller section). I pull it onto the deck and fold it lengthwise at the seams, then roll it up. I do have enough deck space to pull the entire section onto the deck. There is an overlap of about 6" where the sections meet. I'm able to remove and install the cover alone.

Cover.jpg

Reactions: mchartra
My pool is about 16' X 32'. I cut my cover down the middle seam, lengthwise, into two main sections (along with a smaller section). I pull it onto the deck and fold it lengthwise at the seams, then roll it up. I do have enough deck space to pull the entire section onto the deck. There is an overlap of about 6" where the sections meet. I'm able to remove and install the cover alone.

View attachment 343434
What a gorgeous pool! I am jealous :) Love the slide and rock wall as well as the privacy with the back fence being so much higher. Also your likely 10-12 months of annual use. I can see that with the hot tub there, it could be tough to roll yours up as a 1 piece. I was in the pool yesterday and pulled the cover back on while in the pool. It seems to be much easier in sections but I still need to figure out if I am better off rolling it up or folding. I have some space beside the pool house where we installed an outdoor shower - which is never used... That could be a spot to store the cover if I folded it in sections vs a 23' wide roller which always seems to be in the way. Thx for the quick response and pic. Quite helpful Mike.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.