Solar cover for free-form in ground pool

Jun 26, 2016
Warren NJ
I live in NJ and am considering getting a solar cover for my free-form in ground pool (22K gallons, approx 18x40') since the water temperature constantly hovers around the 74 degree mark making it chilly for the kids to go in. Putting a gas heater is not an option since there are no gas lines close by.

Is it advisable to invest in a reel and a rectangular cover that covers about 85% of the pool area? Given I'm in NJ and the fact that the pool does receive a good 7 hours of direct sunshine, can I expect at least a 7-8 degree in temperature with the solar cover?

Replies and tips are hugely appreciated!

I'm in Maryland. I have had great luck with solar covers. Get a clear 16 mil cover and I think you'll get your pool at least 5 degrees warmer. I'm not sure about leaving an area open, as that will definitely result in heat loss at night. Perhaps some of the cover you trim to fit your pool shape can be used to cover the other 15% so it won't be exposed.

Thanks very much.

I'm in Maryland. I have had great luck with solar covers. Get a clear 16 mil cover and I think you'll get your pool at least 5 degrees warmer. I'm not sure about leaving an area open, as that will definitely result in heat loss at night. Perhaps some of the cover you trim to fit your pool shape can be used to cover the other 15% so it won't be exposed.

Get the cheapest solar cover you can find, or even two of them that combined will cover the pool. It doesn't seem to matter how thick the material is, they all disintegrate from sunlight so you might as well go cheap. It cuts easily with scissors.

When I bothered with a cover, mine was one piece that was cut to fit and the scraps used to cover the spa and the other uncovered sections.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.