Solar cover concerns

The only critters I've been worried about falling through a solar cover and drowning are my own dogs - we have three and none of them are comfortable in water. They do run across the safety cover in the winter, so I guess I"m worried they'll mistakenly believe the solar cover will hold them. I've been hesitant to get one for this reason, though I did recently take the plunge and finally buy one. We have a heat pump and the expense of heating the pool during the day, only to lose half of our gains at night can get expensive over the course of the summer.

I'm still worried about it, but we'll just have to be extra vigilant when the dogs are running around the back yard. As for smaller critters, the aforementioned dogs see to it that nothing gets near our pool (or in our yard) to begin with! haha

Getting trapped in the water by a solar cover is a very real danger. Children and pets should not be allowed near the pool while the cover is on. This is true for any pool cover even safety covers. Safety covers are not fool proof and they do fail without warning.

As for wild outdoor critters I've never had an issue with them and my solar cover. The cover being on the pool keeps larger animals from getting at the water to drink which is what they are interested in anyway. Small things like mice, frogs, and snakes will find their way into the pool covered or not and typically can't get out unless you have a frog log.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.