Solar blanket

monsterman

Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2020
New york
Moved from here.
I cut mine in to 2 pieces, this year I bought nylon straps with buckles to fasten it together (in the center) and also 4 points on the edge. This way the wind won't blow it out constantly.

I also got crossovers (plastic squares) to feed the straps through. Once it's sunny enough I will glue them to the cover, but so far the holes haven't ripped any bigger even with 30-50mph winds. Last year I was using string.

When I'm not using the solar blanket I cover it with a tarp. This is the third season and I think it should make it no problem. It's a typical Blue/12mil.
hello I have a 15'x24' above ground pool--- I am looking to buy a decent solar cover probably 12 mil thick. I also do not have the room for a reel to fit in my backyard configuration. So I am thinking about cutting my cover in half as well. So if you would not mind answering a question or two. First does the pool cover have to be cut by the seams ONLY??
Also if when I measure the cover around the circumference of the pool and cut it really close to the pool exact size - what if the two halves actually overlap by an inch or so?? Is this something that would work??
And lastly- if I do cut it as you have- can you explain what these nylon straps with buckles are that fasten both halves together and on the edge-- or these plastic squares you mention?? and where to purchase them and how to attach them to your cover?/ it seems like a lot of work?? please advise. Also can I use a liquid solar cover from heatsavr WITH a solar cover? (for extra warmth??

hello I have a 15'x24' above ground pool--- I am looking to buy a decent solar cover probably 12 mil thick. I also do not have the room for a reel to fit in my backyard configuration. So I am thinking about cutting my cover in half as well. So if you would not mind answering a question or two. First does the pool cover have to be cut by the seams ONLY??
Also if when I measure the cover around the circumference of the pool and cut it really close to the pool exact size - what if the two halves actually overlap by an inch or so?? Is this something that would work??
And lastly- if I do cut it as you have- can you explain what these nylon straps with buckles are that fasten both halves together and on the edge-- or these plastic squares you mention?? and where to purchase them and how to attach them to your cover?/ it seems like a lot of work?? please advise. Also can I use a liquid solar cover from heatsavr WITH a solar cover? (for extra warmth??

I tried to ask a question to a previous OLD post- so I am instead starting a new post-
basically I have no room for a reel-- so I am looking to use a decent solar cover- Bit the size from previous experience is quite cumbersome to remove and put on-- so I need to know fro someone if I can cut the cover (for my 15'x24') oval pol in like 2 halves and have it work properly?? This gentleman mentioned something about nylon straps or buckles to hold the halve together?? Not sure what that is?? So I am just concerned that I can cut my cover into two halves and have it work properly- or actually overlap the halve by an inch or so if I cut the cover just a twinge bigger? I also have wedding cake steps IN my pool with those while metal painted railings- so I would also have to cut the cover around the rails pretty precisely- so that again I would NOT lose much heat and have the cover fit properly. Any ideas on this well? And lastly-- can I use a liquid solar cover ALONG with the solar cover to add extra heat OR is that not going to help? Thanks for listening. I hope someone has some ideas for me.

Attachments

• DSC_0207.JPG
    DSC_0207.JPG
    384.3 KB · Views: 14
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I wish I could give you some advice on the solar cover, but here in South Texas there's not much need for them. :) But let's keep this thread active with a bump from time to time. :bump: Someone is bound to reply who uses them and can help. Thanks for posting.

My pool is kind of an oval. I cut my cover into two main sections, lengthwise. I needed to add a small section for a free form area of the pool (on the lower left in photos) My sections overlap by 4"-6" which helps to keep them from moving. I did the half cut at a seam so it would be straight where the two sections meet. For the outer diameter, just make the cut where you need it. When I pull the cover out of the water, I fold it at the outer seams (about 6' spacing) before folding and rolling it up.

You won't need the nylon clips/straps; these are used to attach to a reel. If it's real windy, I'll throw my pool brush pole on the top of the cover to keep things in place. When I'm placing the cover on the pool, I use the pool pole with brush attachment to float it into place.

For the ladder cuts, make a U-shape cuts to accommodate them. Make sure it's a continuous cut. Errant cuts in the cover will cause it tear in those areas.

I wouldn't bother with the liquid solar cover. I can't see that it would add any benefit to a bubble cover.

full

full

@montek I dont think you'll get much additional benefit from using a liquid cover and the hard cover. I am trying to do some research on covers myself, but the benefit is actually from preventing water evaporation more than heating (and mostly at night) The liquid cover stops evaporation about 75% as well as a hard cover, but wouldn't add heat (since the bubble are the magic there).

Regarding the wedding cake steps, i would cut the solar cover to have either a large U, that fits around the entire step opening, or 2 I shapes, one for each pole. I imagine the 2 I cut out would be a bit more cumbersome when removing and replacing the cover, and the 4 ft or so of uncovered area shouldn't impact the covers benefits too much. But since you can always cut more off, start with the individual hand rail cut outs, and go from there.

What are those wooden steps mounted to? are they just leaning on the pool and the wedding cake steps are screwed in? Also how do you keep your WC steps from floating around, do you have weights on the bottom?

@montek I dont think you'll get much additional benefit from using a liquid cover and the hard cover. I am trying to do some research on covers myself, but the benefit is actually from preventing water evaporation more than heating (and mostly at night) The liquid cover stops evaporation about 75% as well as a hard cover, but wouldn't add heat (since the bubble are the magic there).

Regarding the wedding cake steps, i would cut the solar cover to have either a large U, that fits around the entire step opening, or 2 I shapes, one for each pole. I imagine the 2 I cut out would be a bit more cumbersome when removing and replacing the cover, and the 4 ft or so of uncovered area shouldn't impact the covers benefits too much. But since you can always cut more off, start with the individual hand rail cut outs, and go from there.

What are those wooden steps mounted to? are they just leaning on the pool and the wedding cake steps are screwed in? Also how do you keep your WC steps from floating around, do you have weights on the bottom?
yes, the wooden steps are quite heavy and are resting on the pool-- and yes the wedding cake steps have bag weights inside their opening on the bottom of the pool. We never take the steps out- and never had a problem at all. Once the rails are inserted into the wooden steps and into the cake steps- there is NO movement thank goodness. I guess I will try to cut the cover in those I shapes around each rail since the first step of the cake steps is below water level and thus the solar cover can float above them as well and keep more evaporation from happening. I will just have to be quite precise like an artist ;)
Other than that- can you recommend what size cover I would need to buy for this 15' x 24' pool(oval) Also I think I will go for the 12 mil thick type(middle of the road)-- and about how much would this cost me for the size I would need-- please reply. And thank you for your concern. You are very kind.

I just opened my pool- and thus the green color- I vacuumed and brushed the walls and added my 2 pounds of shock and 2 helpings of four-ounce of ultra-bright pool clarify- so I am waiting for the pool to turn crystal clear like it did last year :)

While I have you- would you mind answering one more question- Only because believe it or not- this is my FIRST time opening the pool MYSELF. I always had someone else do it- but he cancelled so I gave it the old college effort and I guess I did it :)--- but my question is- from the other picture I am attaching with the RED handle- is that in the correct position( parallel) to the pipe- and WHEN does that RED handle ever have to be PERPENDICULAR? to the pipe- for what reason - please advise- and thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0783[2].JPG
    IMG_0783[2].JPG
    602.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0785[1].JPG
    IMG_0785[1].JPG
    809.7 KB · Views: 12
I would think that parallel to pipe is open and perpendicular would be closed. You would close that (which looks to be the intake from the skimmer to the pump) if you need to clean the pump basket, or perform maintenance on any of the equipment after the valve.
For cover size find the closest to the pool size, they make oval, ive seen lots of 18x24 at island rec, I’m sure there are better quality or thicker ones online though. Make sure it’s at least the same dimension of your pool if not bigger. You can drape it over sides of pool and make lines on sides, then cut the size.
also for cutting the hand rail part, you could probably just slice with a blade, and allow excess to rest on rail

i have an 18x24 cover on my 16x24 pool, I haven’t cut it yet, and actually put the extra under the side rail to pinch the cover and keep it in place when it’s really windy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.