Sodium polyacrylate in bleach?

Feb 15, 2017
Honolulu, HI
Hi all, I've been using unscented Clorox bleach from the grocery store as my main chlorine source since my CYA levels are through the roof. A relative told me that I should specifically buy the more concentrated pool chlorine specifically marketed for pools, since it doesn't have the sodium polyacrylate found in Clorox, but unfortunately I can't find a nearby pool store that carries pool chlorine. There was an old post by chem geek Richard that the sodium polyacrylate concentrations are likely very low so would probably take a long time to build up, but I did see these lovely YouTube videos of people mixing sodium polyacrylate with water to make this fluffy white fake snow, so I'm wondering do any of the other members here use Clorox brand or am I the only one who's going to have white stuff in my pool?

I'm not 100%certain but googling uses of sodium polyacrilate lead me to believe your friend is referring to an ingredient that might be found in a "splash less" bleach and not regular old plain bleach.

Never heard of this problem so I think you're safe :)

Plain, unscented 8-10% household bleach is ideal. Chlorox is name brand so it costs a bit more, that's all. Store brands work just as well. Do not buy the splashless product either.

Do NOT buy Chlorox Blu pool products as they contain added copper. Copper is unwanted in pools as it causes green hair and stains to the pool surface.

Yippee :flower:

Trust old chem geek posts. As he said, it is added to Clorox specifically as a metal sequesterant but because there is so little (as it is intended to sequester the metals in a few gallons of water) it will have little effect on metals in the pool water. If you are concerned you can switch to a store brand which will likely not contain any but it isn't a concern regardless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.