Sodium Dichlor Question

Danylukburton

Jul 17, 2020
MA
This may seem like a dumb question, but is all Dichlor the same? Are there percentages like with liquid chlorine (i.e. 12.5% vs 10% sodium hypochlorite)?
I'm considering shocking my fresh fill (from a well) with Dichlor to add CYA, so I want to make sure the ratio is always 10ppm chlorine and 9ppm CYA for Diclor.. no matter the brand.
Thanks!

Dichlor itself is dichlor, but different products will vary on how much dichlor is in them. It will say on the package what percentage it is, you'll want to find something that is 99%-ish dichlor. Ignore the "available chlorine" number (dichlor is only about 56% available chlorine by itself, after all) and concentrate on that ingredients list.

Even if you were to find a lower yield one, it would still be the same FC to CYA ratio, you'd just need more of it. Avoid anything like Clorox Xtra Blue which has copper in it.

Reactions: Danylukburton
Also, be careful shocking well water. You may want to test it first in a bucket. If the well water has iron in it then high levels of chlorine will cause it to go brown.

Reactions: Danylukburton
Dichlor itself is dichlor, but different products will vary on how much dichlor is in them. It will say on the package what percentage it is, you'll want to find something that is 99%-ish dichlor. Ignore the "available chlorine" number (dichlor is only about 56% available chlorine by itself, after all) and concentrate on that ingredients list.

Even if you were to find a lower yield one, it would still be the same FC to CYA ratio, you'd just need more of it. Avoid anything like Clorox Xtra Blue which has copper in it.
I am so grateful you called out the Clorox Xtra blue! That is what I have which I bought my first season before I knew anything. I will shock using liquid chlorine instead.
And yes, I should test the water in a bucket first, thanks Matt! I didn't have any problems with color last year, but groundwater can change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.