So, school me on salt testing

Reddogdan

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
Last season, some swimmers said they tasted salt in the water. I've bought a Tayler salt kit and used it yesterday. Not sure about the exact salmon color they are looking for. If I'm close on my drops, I'm guessing 1200 ppm. Also what should the salt level be for a non-swg pool?

All pools have salt in them and it will slowly build up over time. Salt comes from chlorine, muriatic acid, tap water, people. Salt actually makes the water feel better on skin and eyes and many people add 1000-2000 ppm of salt to improve water feel. Most saltwater pools have 3000-4000 ppm salt, human tears have 9000 ppm salt and the ocean has 35,000 ppm salt.

I concur, when I first salted my pool I had 800ppm before adding a single ounce of salt. I figure it is a natural reaction between Sodium Bicarbonate, and Hydrochloric acid over time adjusting pH, as well as the sweaty people who use it. I had no idea the NaCl was there until I tested for it to baseline my salt after adding a SWCG.

All pools have salt in them and it will slowly build up over time. Salt comes from chlorine, muriatic acid, tap water, people. Salt actually makes the water feel better on skin and eyes and many people add 1000-2000 ppm of salt to improve water feel. Most saltwater pools have 3000-4000 ppm salt, human tears have 9000 ppm salt and the ocean has 35,000 ppm salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.