So ... a 1000 gph filter pump WON'T clear dead algae out of a pool. What next?

Thought I'd post a wrap-up in case anyone has a similar issue and searches to find this thread.

That "little bit of haze left to clear" on Sunday 6/16 was totally gone by Tuesday 6/18 -- "TFP clear" water ever since.

I think that the little bitty 1000-gph filter pump would've cleared the water eventually, but might have taken an additional week or longer to clear the water all the way to "TFP clear". One thing that concerned me about the paper filters was that they were catching much less dead algae after 7-8 days per filter change (~12-18 hours). Flow was still fine after 12 hours, it's just that after a week the cartridges weren't getting to the point of total blockage within a day. I guess I could've started letting the filters go for multiple days at a time.

But in the end, the sand filter powered through that last bit of haze with 60 hours or so. Plus no more filter changes -- I did (and do) have to monitor the sand filter's pressure gauge, but IMHO it's still been a much more hands-off process than clearing water via paper cartridge filters.

Reactions: zea3
Sand filter is absolutely the way to go! I struggled with my first couple years of pool ownership with the filter pump that came with the pool. That frustration led me here to TFP. After the second winter, I read through Pool School and scoured the forum. I ordered the sand filter and it made a world of difference the third year! Yes, it requires some maintenance as well, but NOTHING like dealing with the little Intex cartridge filters!!! It made having the pool MUCH more enjoyable. TFP was a revelation for me. Good luck!!!

Reactions: bordelond
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.