Gold Supporter
May 16, 2018
New York
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
In the middle of a SLAM but this is something entirely different.

Background: Haven't used the heater at all last year or this year. But it says its on standby and ready. So today after backwashing I decided to fire it up because its getting colder at night. Its a Hayward H350 heater.

It started up great and easy, then I went to go rinse something off and I turned around maybe 5 minutes later to huge white smoke coming out of the vents. I immediately shut it off and it stopped. No flames. No more smoke.

I've gotta sort this out now. But off to work and maybe TFP would have some good places to start when I get back.

TIA. Cheers.

John

Best guess - Something probably built a nest in there and you just ruined their cozy accommodations. I remove the side and top panels at the beginning of every season and almost every year I have discovered a rodent's nest, with the critter still in there (a small field mouse).

Reactions: Newdude
Best guess - Something probably built a nest in there and you just ruined their cozy accommodations. I remove the side and top panels at the beginning of every season and almost every year I have discovered a rodent's nest, with the critter still in there (a small field mouse).
That makes sense. I wasnt worried when the smoke was white. And quick googling now confirms that I should clean it out bc its most likely debris. I'll check it out later when its cooled down.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.