Small Rust Spot on Stainless Steel Panel of Above Ground Resin Pool

steelvalley

May 30, 2023
Youngstown, OH
This evening I was cutting the grass and noticed the bonding wire for our pool appeared to have come in contact with the stainless steel panel (where the skimmer is located) this past winter and now there is a small surface rust spot. This will be our 3rd year with this pool and obviously I want to address this ASAP to avoid catastrophic issues down the road. I have attached some photos. I was hoping the knowledgeable folks on this forum can provide some advice to me to address this as best as I possibly can.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240422_190004.jpg
    20240422_190004.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240422_190014.jpg
    20240422_190014.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 32
You can attempt to clean it up with some naval jelly or alternatively wd40 & a brass brush. It will likely come right off.
I am a little more worried about that trichlor/ nature 2 dispenser though honestly. It looks disconnected now. I suggest you omit it entirely.

You can attempt to clean it up with some naval jelly or alternatively wd40 & a brass brush. It will likely come right off.
I am a little more worried about that trichlor/ nature 2 dispenser though honestly. It looks disconnected now. I suggest you omit it entirely.
I will try that and report back.

Don't worry... I stopped using that last summer after switching to liquid chlorine after reading this forum. I just ran out of room in my garage and left it out there all winter. It will not be used!

Thanks

Reactions: Mdragger88
I Love Lucy Ok GIF by Paramount+

• Haha
Reactions: InyoRich
What you are seeing is a reaction between your copper ground wire and the stainless steel panel. I don't think the affected area is going to spread, but I'd like one of our sciency folks to give an opinion. The copper ground should not touch the stainless steel panel. You should straighten the copper wire and trim it so it doesn't touch the wall of the pool.
@JoyfulNoise @JamesW

Reactions: Mdragger88
Do you know if this is bonding the panel or the water? I ask because my steel walled but other resin parts pool doesn't have a bond on the wall. If it's for the water you may be able to get rid of it by the pool and put it neat the pump. The electrician we used didn't want to bond the water at the skimmer and used a bonding portion on one of the pipes at the pump.

What you are seeing is a reaction between your copper ground wire and the stainless steel panel. I don't think the affected area is going to spread, but I'd like one of our sciency folks to give an opinion. The copper ground should not touch the stainless steel panel. You should straighten the copper wire and trim it so it doesn't touch the wall of the pool.
@JoyfulNoise @JamesW
Eager to see their reply as I plan to get what I need today at lunch.
Do you know if this is bonding the panel or the water? I ask because my steel walled but other resin parts pool doesn't have a bond on the wall. If it's for the water you may be able to get rid of it by the pool and put it neat the pump. The electrician we used didn't want to bond the water at the skimmer and used a bonding portion on one of the pipes at the pump.
I am not really following this. The second picture from further out shows you my overall setup. The wire goes up to the skimmer. The part underground is exposed right now since my pool pump is in the garage.

I am not really following this. The second picture from further out shows you my overall setup. The wire goes up to the skimmer. The part underground is exposed right now since my pool pump is in the garage.
What you have is the water bond - its not bonding the panel.
He’s saying some people use a different place to make the water bond connection . His is in a pipe near the pump instead of in the skimmer like yours. What you have is fine.
What zea was saying is to loosen the screw that holds the wire and push more through the fitting then retighten it & cut off the excess keeping the copper wire away from the wall more.
Like this
IMG_9754.jpeg

What you have is the water bond - its not bonding the panel.
He’s saying some people use a different place to make the water bond connection . His is in a pipe near the pump instead of in the skimmer like yours. What you have is fine.
What zea was saying is to loosen the screw that holds the wire and push more through the fitting then retighten it & cut off the excess keeping the copper wire away from the wall more.
Like this
View attachment 566791
Excellent. That makes perfect sense. I will do that this evening.

Will await on the rust removal if the naval jelly will work. I do have a tub of "Metal Rescue Rust Remover Gel". Do you think that would work or should I just buy the naval jelly?

Here is a link to what I have: GEL LINK

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Excellent. That makes perfect sense. I will do that this evening.

Will await on the rust removal if the naval jelly will work. I do have a tub of "Metal Rescue Rust Remover Gel". Do you think that would work or should I just buy the naval jelly?

Here is a link to what I have: GEL LINK

Thanks!
Give it a shot - should work just fine.

Sorry, saw this post early AM and didn't observe the whole photo. Yes it's a water bond and yes it is fine as @Mdragger88 posted. I have to stop looking and responding to posts early in the morning! 🙄

Just an update!

Today at lunch I applied the Rust Remover Gel on the area impacted and covered it with plastic wrap per the directions. Note the photos below. When I came home around 5pm I could see it was working as the rust seemed to have already been reduced. I then removed the plastic wrap and wiped off the area with a paper towel and all the rust at that point was removed. I used a wipe to clean the area of any remaining gel. The pictures are below.

My last question would be whether you all felt it was necessary based on what you see below to paint over the area or if I should just monitor it in the weeks ahead to see if the rust returns or (hoping it does not). Thanks for all your advice in this thread!

12pm:
1000005184.jpg

5pm (before plastic was removed):
1000005185.jpg

5pm (after plastic was removed):
1000005186.jpg

Wow 🤩 That looks great 👍🏻
I would just watch it.
You can polish it up & protect it a little with some wd40 if you have some