small drip out the backwash pipe

Tyrone Shuz

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Bowie, MD
Pentair multiport valve, old. I noticed during startup I tried to use the recirculate function (I rarely used this in the past but converted to SWG last summer and they say get the water close before turning it on)--and I got a small stream of water out the backwash pipe. So I didn't recirculate. Now I notice on filter I see a very small drip out the backwash pipe. Do I need a new valve or can it be repaired? Or do I need to do something? I'm getting a lower pressure reading on my gauge, and I bleed it through the gauge, and it takes about 1/2 second for the water to come out, sometimes a full second. Skimmer and pump buckets both clear, no visible bubbles out the return line.

You probably have a tear in the spider gasket in the MPV.

MPV_Spider_Gasket_Pentair.jpg

You will find the spider gasket glued in and you will need to remove it using an xacto knife, needle nose pliers, or a spudger.

Depending on the specific model of the multiport, Pentair recommends gluing the spider gasket in place. They recommend Loctite 401 or 416, but the Permatex should work as long as you don't get carried away with it.

Grease the spider gasket with a pool lube.

You probably have a tear in the spider gasket in the MPV.

MPV_Spider_Gasket_Pentair.jpg

You will find the spider gasket glued in and you will need to remove it using an xacto knife, needle nose pliers, or a spudger.

Depending on the specific model of the multiport, Pentair recommends gluing the spider gasket in place. They recommend Loctite 401 or 416, but the Permatex should work as long as you don't get carried away with it.

Grease the spider gasket with a pool lube.

Thanks a million. This may be above my pay grade but at least I won't be automatically convinced to buy a new MPV.

Problem is when you are paying someone $150/hour to repair an old MPV with no guarantees you may be better off dropping in a new valve which will be a lot less labor and starting fresh.

I'm dealing with the same thing with my 9+ year old Hayward sand filter. I've decided to replace the upper handle assembly which has the spider gasket already glued on, rather than trying to tackle the spider gasket by itself or the whole MPV.

So the gasket must have seated itself because now everything is fine, the pressure level is perfect and I don't see a drip from the backwash hose. I didn't try the recirculate feature because the guy already ordered the parts. I haven't had any work done on this MPV (that I recall) and it's gotta be 15 years old or more.

If it keeps giving you issues, just replace it. Replacing will be cheaper that paying for removal, disassembly, repair of the gasket, reassembly, and the risk something else will go wrong again!
The pool guy said getting the spider gasket out could take a couple hours, he'd done two recently, one taking over an hour, the other 2.5 hrs. He replaced the top assembly with the O-ring and handle, I did buy the spider gasket and he left it sealed in its package with me so if it needs doing the part is here. Since nothing was actually leaking, he suggested waiting on the spider gasket job, so it was minimum labor charge plus the parts. I thought that was pretty cool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.