Slow supply when changing from pool to spa mode

sanspeur

Nov 16, 2014
Seffner, FL
I have a built-in pool and spa. Just within the past week, when I reconfigure valves (supply and drain) from pool to spa mode, once the drain valve is getting set, the water supply slows significantly eventually causing loss of suction and then eventually the pump shuts down due to lack of water. What could be the cause?

Some additional info: I noticed that in pool mode I am getting some air into the basket. Could a leak, possibly in the valve, be large enough to keep suction when in spa mode but then small enough that it is only letting a little air in when in pool mode?

Attachments

• 20210121_203653 (1).jpg
    20210121_203653 (1).jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210121_203720.jpg
    20210121_203720.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 8
Tell us if it was working properly prior to your reconfiguration. If so, explain in more detail what reconfiguration did you do? Your spa is most likely supplied with 1 suction line from the spa drain unless you also have a skimmer in the spa. It appears you have a closed or partial closed valve.
The picture you just posted shows 3 suction lines to the left - can you define if that is a main drain, skimmer, ?(another skimmer), then suction line to the right is spa (spa drain). The valve controls suction either from the pool or from the spa. Is this the valve you reconfigured (did you take it apart)?

@HermanTX apologies, I may have misled with the verbiage. I did not reconfigure the system. I meant just changing the valves from pool mode to spa mode (from full open to pool for suction to full open to spa for suction, and from 75%spa/25% pool on supply side to full open to 100% spa supply). Yes, the 3 lines to the left are skimmer, main drain, and pool sweep. Right now in pool mode the suction valve is fully closed to the spa (only one suction line form spa). The issue just started this week (the spa worked fine last week).

Thanks for clarification. It appears that the valve between spa and pool suction has malfunctioned. If it turns on top but valve in housing may not be turning or is stuck. It appears it moved to a fully closed (or nearly closed) position (both Spa suction and pool suction) are closed thus no flow to the pump. The valve is simple to take apart and look to see if it is stuck.

@HermanTX Thanks sir, repaired/replaced the valve, restarted pump, verified pool supply was good then changed to spa, and when I did a "blob" of tangled sinewy "stuff" came out into the pump basket and I removed. Supply from Pool and Spa changeover now staying at same levels. Thanks!!

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.