Slamming

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
Just opened this morning. Had a few inches of water to backwash above skimmer. My Cya was zero, so I added 8 lbs. cya in a stocking in front of return. I have to remember to go back and agitate more often, the cya just sits there in a lump.

Anyway I shocked at 24 ppm around 10:00 am and tested at 4:00 pm and I now have .5 fc

So I went and bought 5 gallons of 12.5% chlorine and dumped that in.

The problem is I should have checked the pump psi first because it's running 10 psi over normal. I don't want to backwash the chlorine I just put in....also some cya.

Should I just leave it til morning? I'm sure I'm gonna need more chlorine. The pool looked bad this year. Must been because we had a mini heat wave last week.

Backwash anyway. You'll only be losing a couple inches of water. Less than 5% of the total volume, so maybe 1 ppm FC and maybe a little more of the CYA. Hardly enough to notice on a test.

Or switch to recirculate while you are asleep, and backwash and resume filtering tomorrow morning.

Yeah, if the chlorine is fully 'mixed' then back washing won't affect your chlorine level 10ppm in a whole pool is the same proportion as 10ppm in a 10ml sample (in theory, assuming it's circulated). But if you're not sure, recirculate overnight. Just don't forget to backwash BEFORE your next dose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.