slamming question

Jul 9, 2014
Connecticut
I am in the process of SLAMming, day 4. algae seems to be gone but pool is still cloudy. We have changed filter twice and the vacuum bags are no longer green after vacuuming. Still working on keeping chlorine level high and family getting frustrated that they can not swim. My CYA levels have dropped below the 30 mark on the test kit. Should I add stabilizer now or wait till pool is clear? (we have had a couple of storms lately) Could the drop in CYA be the cause of why it is taking so long? PH and TA have also dropped, but within range.

How many days did it take to go green and how long was it green? It likely didn't go green over night so it will take time to clear up as well.

Can you clearly see the bottom? If so, it's safe to swim as long as the FC level is below the shock level for your CYA. If they want to swim sooooo badly, don't dose quite as high before they swim and let them have at it, provided you can see the bottom clearly. Then dose up to shock level when they are done. You could add more CYA at any time, unless you're planning on draining any water soon, which you likely won't have to with a cart filter. CYA drop will not cause issues with clarity, nor will pH or TA levels. What you're waiting for now is all the dead algae to be filtered out. Keep that pump running 24/7 and clean the filter when necessary. It's patience you need now.

It did not go all green, was cloudy some visible green on the return jet.
Levels were doing good and put the solar cover on since kids were away for a couple days, got cloudy next day and started to increase chlorine levels the following day. Finally decided that it wasn't getting any better with the cover on and have since removed it. I believe that the solar cover is the culprit and will not be going back on the pool. The trees, rain, bugs and frogs don't seem to help either.:(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.