Silver Supporter
Apr 24, 2017
Southern Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi, I have a question about slamming in the rain. I had an ammonia issue, which is now resolved and started my slam yesterday. Today it's raining and expected to rain all day. I thought about covering the pool and checking FC levels from the skimmer, but I found a post that said a mesh cover is fine, but not a solid one because it needs to breathe. Mine is solid (an automatic pool cover).

So should I leave it open and keep checking FC throughout the day? If water gets above the skimmer, just drain some away?

Thanks for any help on this!
Pam

If it's ark-building rain, I could see waiting until it's over so you aren't adding bleach only to pump it out ten minutes later. Otherwise, go! The overcast will slow or eliminate UV losses so the bleach can work on algae only.

Tip: you can run out and grab a sample and test it under cover, then calculate dose, and run out and add. No need to squat next to the pool and get soaked to the skin.

Ok, I slammed all week and kept FC mostly 9ppm to 13ppm last two days, checking every 1-3 hrs and had no FC loss last night!!!
Criteria for finishing Slam:
Water is crystal clear
CC <= 0.5
OCLT = lose 1 ppm of FC or less

I believe I've finished the Slam as I've met all these. We left for the holiday weekend this afternoon and needed to cover the pool. I left a small gap at the front to let it breathe a little. It had dropped to 5.5ppm by late afternoon, so I added 1/3 gal 10% bleach before covering, just to be on the safe side. Hope I will be ok and not have to start slam over when I get home!:mad:
Have a great Memorial weekend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.