Utah
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have been following the SLAM method for the past 2 days. My CYA is 39 so I round up to 40 which puts me at a FC target of 15. I keep checking every 2 hours to find the FC level has dropped to 10. I then add the amount of liquid chlorine the pool math tells me to. Is this a typical process?

Is this a typical process?
If your water testing is accurate and you have a heavy algae load, you can see the FC drop quite a bit in the early part of the SLAM Process. As you noted above, you round-up the CYA to 40, so the corresponding FC (SLAM level) is 16. Not much of a difference but I didn't want others to get confused when they refer to the FC/CYA Levels. The other consideration is if you are actually increasing the FC to 16 when you add the chlorine. In other words, is the chlorine new, or did you do the correct dosing calculation to actually reach that higher FC level? Are you using the PoolMath APP to help?

You should also update your signature and include your test kit. See my sig as an example.

Thanks for your response. I am using the FAS-DAP testing. I use the 10ml so each drop is .5ppm. This morning after testing the water and finding the FC dropped to 5ppm I used the pool math app to calculate how much chlorine to add to reach the 16FC. Using liquid chlorine with 10% i added 3 gallons and 2 quarts. A couple hours later I checked the FC level and it was back at 10ppm so I added just under 2 gallons based on the pool math app calculations. Am I doing the process right?

Thanks for your response. I am using the FAS-DAP testing. I use the 10ml so each drop is .5ppm. This morning after testing the water and finding the FC dropped to 5ppm I used the pool math app to calculate how much chlorine to add to reach the 16FC. Using liquid chlorine with 10% i added 3 gallons and 2 quarts. A couple hours later I checked the FC level and it was back at 10ppm so I added just under 2 gallons based on the pool math app calculations. Am I doing the process right?

Test again about 30 minutes after adding the chlorine. It's possible your chlorine is degraded and not actually getting you to 16.

Reactions: BowserB
Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This will assist us in helping you without needing to ask for that info each time.
https://www.troublefreepool.com/account/signature

Are you using PoolMath? If so, share your logs here so we can see them. There is a setting in PoolMath to share logs.

See my signature and others for inspiration.

Yes I am using pool math. Did the Overnight FC test. FC went from 16PPM last night to 12PPM this morning. When I brush the walls there is some brown/black color still so I assume I am fighting some serious algae. When I use my dolphin vacuum the only thing I remove is white flaking substance but nothing else the filter is very clean. This is day 4 of this process don’t know how much progress I am making. I added more liquid chlorine this morning to get the FC back up to 16PPM. Checked after 30-45 minutes and the FC was back down to 12PPM. I am starting to wonder if the chlorine is degraded looks like this last batch I bought was from October 2021.

Have you looked at the Julian date on the chlorine bottles? For example, today is 22 208 (208th day of 2022). If the chlorine is close it should be good. Perhaps ensure your pool size is correct in the PoolMath APP. As for the walls and any surface for that matter, brushing daily is an integral part of any SLAM Process to break-up the biofilms that have been growing. Do your best to maintain the proper SLAM FC level. The process works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.