slam with high cya- can I dilute pool water with tap water to test?

melrumphius

Silver Supporter
Jun 16, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi, I have a target of 35 with my slam so I'm going thru chlorine reagent like water. I know when testing for high cya, you can dilute with tap water. To save on using reagents for chlorine(40-70 drops per test), can I dilute the chlorine sample in the same way and then multiply the result by 2?
Thanks for your help, Mary

I did and I ordered the pint bottle! o_O I wasn't home most of the day and it was cloudy with some strong sun off and on and the fc only dropped by 6 in almost 8 hours, the cc has been 0.5 twice, so I'm hoping for a good OCLT. It is still cloudy and has been for weeks(since first week in June). Last year we had calcium precipitate, so I'm starting to wonder if that's in the mix too. I tested hardness and it was only 125 a few weeks ago. If the numbers are good we may swim in the clouds this year and empty next spring. I would love to drain it and refill but it's our well, which we only run an hour at a time. It would take at least a week to refill and then I'll have to deal with the metals. This is the worst time I've ever had, but hopefully at the end soon and then I'll work on getting the CYAdown day by day. Hope this makes sense, it was a long day in the ER with a friend so the SLAM was sort of on hold.

Last edited:
Note that it's not safe to swim in a pool if you can't see the bottom of the deep end.
Thanks for your concern but we don't have a deep end-it's a 24 foot round. No worries though, I'm sick of dealing with it so I'm emptying it this weekend and having fresh water delivered. It will probably bring its own set of problems but hopefully, it will be clear. Any advice on dealing with delivered water is welcome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.