slam vs shock

Maresa

Aug 28, 2014
Haverhill, Mass
I understand the difference between slam and shock, but I have 2 related questions. If everything looks good, do I need to slam? Is it a good idea no matter what? Also, if I do not slam, do I need to raise the chlorine to the level I want to keep it at (usually 4-5) or should I raise chlorine high (how high?) like you would do with a traditional shock? I am referring to pool opening btw.

Traditional "shock" methods are to cover up the inherent problems with chlorine pucks. Most weekly pool services visit once a week, dump some pucks in, and shock the pool. This raises FC high enough to give the pucks a head-start on maintaining FC. As the week goes on, FC inevitably drops below minimum. CYA, all along is rising, making the FC less active, requiring that "shock" to stave off a green pool before the next service.

Eventually, CYA goes high enough to make this all break down and a water exchange is needed or more expensive potions are used.

There's no need to shock. The TFP method is built on just keeping FC above the minimum - that's it. If you keep the water sanitary, there's no need to do anything else. It's really that simple but that's so out of whack with how the pool service industry and pool stores work today.

SLAM is a process to eliminate algae - there's no need to ever SLAM unless FC is not maintained and algae takes hold.

Have you completed an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out organics and other nastirs?

Post a full set of current test results from your Tftestkit.
Thank you! I had completely forgotten about the OCLT. Duh! That's what happens when you only use the pool 10 weeks a year (and when you're old! HaHa)
Traditional "shock" methods are to cover up the inherent problems with chlorine pucks. Most weekly pool services visit once a week, dump some pucks in, and shock the pool. This raises FC high enough to give the pucks a head-start on maintaining FC. As the week goes on, FC inevitably drops below minimum. CYA, all along is rising, making the FC less active, requiring that "shock" to stave off a green pool before the next service.

Eventually, CYA goes high enough to make this all break down and a water exchange is needed or more expensive potions are used.

There's no need to shock. The TFP method is built on just keeping FC above the minimum - that's it. If you keep the water sanitary, there's no need to do anything else. It's really that simple but that's so out of whack with how the pool service industry and pool stores work today.

SLAM is a process to eliminate algae - there's no need to ever SLAM unless FC is not maintained and algae takes hold.
Thank you! That makes sense and it's what I was thinking (and hoping). But I keep forgetting from one year to the next.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.