Ripon, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi, I’m new to the forum and am new to pools. We bought our house last June and it has a 5 year old pool. For the first couple months we battled algae, but got it under control and stabilized the chlorine (shocked the pool several times and phosphate remover) SWG stopped working within the 1st month, was replaced under warranty, but took a couple months. Not sure if there is any algae still in the water. I think the water has a green tint, but my wife thinks it looks normal. No green algae anywhere noticeable but think I found a couple spots of black algae on the fake rocks. Scraped it away and was green stuff still attached.

I’ve been reading about the SLAM process and think I have the general idea down.

Our pool has 4 pumps, 1 variable speed for the filter, 1 variable speed for the water fall, 1 single speed for the water feature ( not sure what it’s called, but squirts steady streams of water into pool from the pool deck) and 1 booster pump for the pool sweep.

When slamming the pool do I need to run all the pumps continuously to pump the chlorinated water through all the pipes and pumps or do I just run the filter pump 24/7 and the others just daily for a certain number of hours to move the water through them?

They're called stream jets or laminars, depending on which you have, there are minor differences between the two.

images.jpeg

Others here can help you with the SLAM better than I can. But the basic premise is to elevate your FC (the amount of chlorine in the water) and subject every area where algae might be lurking to that extra-chlorinated water. The more the chlorine touches the algae, the sooner it'll die. You might base your pump-running strategy on that. And you might have to hunt down hidden patches, too. Sometimes algae can squeak through a SLAM by hiding in the light niche, the skimmer, inside a ladder, etc. Sometimes areas like those need additional spot treatments and/or extra brushing. If the algae makes it through, it can re-infect the rest of the pool after you think your SLAM is over.

Last edited:
Hey Rys and Welcome !!!

Run the filter full time to ensure good circulation like Dirk said above.

The features just need to be exchanged with fresh SLAM water every so often, so a couple of minutes, two times a day is plenty.

Welcome! :wave: Also be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info so we know what you have to work with. It will help with future questions. Show in your signature which test kit you use. If it's not a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C you're going to struggle. If you fill from a well let us know. We're here to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.