SLAM question

2thdoc1

Sep 14, 2020
Kalamazoo, MI
Hello! This is my first post! My family just had a new pool installed last month and we’re finally on the home stretch! I’m enjoying learning about all the ins and out of pool chemistry as I have a background in biology/chemistry. I included the description of the pool in my signature (18k gallons, fiberglass with SWG). Current test results:
FC: 7.6
CC: 0.6
CYA: 80
PH: 7.2
Alk: 250 (was 330, have already added a ton of muriatic acid over the past week)
CH: 390
SI: 0.4
I’d like to SLAM the pool tonight as we had a long period of low chlorine (turns out CYA had dropped to 0 and FC didn’t creep above 0.5 for over a week). CC is getting up there, and although the water is clear, I noticed a little green today around a couple of my light covers. I wanted to do liquid chlorine, but only had access to HTH Super Shock 53% cal hypo. According to the calculator, I need to add 6 lbs 11 ozs. Questions:
Can I premix with water first then dump to make sure it dissolves (directions just say to broadcast in deep end)
Should I be worried about increasing CH? In the future we will most likely use liquid bleach, but we’re close to the end of the season here in Michigan so pickins are slim.
If I just add 6 lbs should that be ok? They are 1 lb bags.
Will I need to worry about shocking often with the SWG? When should I shock vs superchlorinate?
Once FC/CC is in a good spot, I plan on tackling the TA. Thanks for your help!!

Hi there..... I wouldn't use tat CalHypo for a SLAM. You need Liquid Chorline for that. Check the hardware stores for plain liquid chlorine or pool stores for "liquid shock".

SLAM Process

How did your pool lose its CYA? That's kinda unusual....?

Is this an indoor pool by chance???

Maddie

No, it is outdoor. Original CYA was added by the pool contractor right after pool was filled- 1st reading I got mid-August was 30-50 ppm (only had test strips at that point). Pool was subsequently filled completely plus has been backwashed/vacuumed frequently due to construction so I’m guessing that was where the loss cane from. I’m guessing original amount was not very adequate as when SWG was installed I could never get above 1 ppm even when running at 70-80%. Now with “good” test kit (Taylor K-2006) I had near 0 CYA until I added it. Seems to be good now and holding stable.
I’ll see if I can get the liquid bleach tomorrow - I can find regular 6% Clorox but that’s a crazy amount of gallons to lug! Thanks for the help!

No, you don't want Clorox brand. They put all these gummy polymers in it nowadays (Cloromax Technology, they claim! All I know is they ruined a good product for use in pools!!!)

No name, *plain* liquid chlorine or bleach. That's what you want. Lugging is *exercise* and motivation to never let the pool go green. :laughblue:

Y'all got some serious hard water up there, it looks like.

Maddie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.