SLAM or treat for metals?

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
Finally opening today, and of course I have some discolored water. Lack of chlorine+warmer temps=green water. I get it. It's not the first time. And my water level is down. Down enough that I have to add some before the pump will begin circulating. In the past, adding water -- even my supposedly "soft" water from the house -- has caused discoloration due to iron and other metals. I have dealt with this in the past with Metal Magic or similar additives. But ... they always say avoid high levels of chlorine, which I need to clean up my water! As I add water and start the pump, what do I do first, chlorinate or treat the water for the metals I know are lurking out there? (BTW, I have no tests yet of the water. The color tells me it needs chlorine. Fast!)

Usually you need to complete the SLAM process first. Then let the FC drop, maybe use algeacide (non-copper of course), and deal with the metal stains with an AA treatment.
Then continue to use sequestrants while slowly bringing your FC back up.

OR

Just ignore the stains ;)

My thinking is: can you swim with beautiful water and ugly walls? Can you swim with beautiful walls and slimy water? The whole point of this forum is to enjoy the pool.

And on a related note.... I wonder if the biofilm from algae would also seal the walls against the stain treatment?

SLAM first.

My thinking is: can you swim with beautiful water and ugly walls? Can you swim with beautiful walls and slimy water? The whole point of this forum is to enjoy the pool.

And on a related note.... I wonder if the biofilm from algae would also seal the walls against the stain treatment?

SLAM first.

I get that, but my experience is that the iron/metals in the water will discolor it as well as the walls. But your point is well taken. I have initiated the SLAM :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.