SLAM NOT WORKING...WATER TOO HARD?

nickprette

Sep 2, 2016
Lomnbard,IL
Hello everyone, pool season has been great thanks to tfp and tf-100. I slam for my opening and keep steady all summer. Unfortunately I made a bone head move and started my weekly backwash on my sand filter and instead of letting it run for 3 minutes, I walked away for the entire night. I woke up with the pool drained past the skimmer (no main drain) and luckily my motor didnt burn out. I live on a well and the garden hose I use to top off the pool does not pass through my homes filter system. This has never been a problem, obviously I start off my pool season with topping it off from the hose to get the pipes primed, this is the most water I will add all season and earlier this year it did not affect my water quality. Throughout the Chicago summer we had tremendous rain and im not sure if this affects my well water quality but I did notice as I had to top the pool off from heavy traffic and natural evapoeration this was my first year where the hose water was affecting my quality but a simple day or 2 of SLAM, I was back to normal. so now back to my bone head move of draining my pool past my skimmer I had to fill up again, which was on a Friday and I slammed as I was filling up. It seemed clear all weekend but by Monday I was cloudy. I have did the SLAM process for more then 4 days straight and cant get clear. I also notice when I skim, the movement Im making in the water is creating these brown like foam bublles that settle for 15 minutes and then go away. Then entire color of the water seems a little teal to me. See attached photo. What is happening? Did I dispose of all my sand with an 8 hour backwash? Did I destroy the filter? Or is my well water to hard? I will add one small detail typically when I SLAM I have 2 floating chlorinators in my pool with a total of 8 3" tabs, well I ran out of tabs and haven't replaced them it being October next week.

Attachments

• pool .jpg
    pool .jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 15
The first thing I would do is inspect the filter sand. You will never have a clear pool without sand in the filter. Generally, it should be about 2/3 full with POOL SAND....NOT construction sand. Poolcrete brand has been reported as very inconsistent.....I wouldn't use it.

What you are describing as a SLAM is nowhere near what we teach. Let us know if your filter is operating properly and then let us know if you want to do a proper SLAM and clear your water or wait 'til the Spring.

The bubbles could indicate the use of algaecides. Have you used algaecide? Bubbles usually appear when the surface is disturbed n go away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.