SW Chicago/IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
OK. So we were gone for a week and I figured no problem with the cover and SWG. However, when we got back, I see that my SWG was not producing (different story). When I opened the pool, the water was grey, so I put whatever liquid chlorine (roughly 3 gallons of 12.5%) I had in and got the SWG running full out until I could get some more LC. I got 10 more gallons and tested my FC to see where I was at and it was 0. I added roughly 2.5 gallons, waited 30 minutes and tested again, and again 0. This lead me to think it was ammonia? So I checked my CYA, it was 0 as well (previously 50). So i keep adding chlorine and had the SWG running until my FC held at 5ppm, which was about 10 gallons 12.5% LC. During that time, every LC addition resulted in white clouds as well as white clouds coming out of the returns with the SWG running as well as lots of foam on the surface. Sometime during all this, by PH dropped to 6.8 as well. So that is where I am at now and I was wondering what I should do next. My test results are below. Thanks for any help.

FC: 5
CC: 1
PH: 6.8 (fountain, slide, and deck jets currently running to aerate)
CYA: 0
TA: 200 (has been high this year, slowly working on it)
CH: 525
Temp: 88

I was afraid to add any CYA until my PH came up. I have 4lb now (getting more later). That should bring me up to 30, but it says it will drop my PH by another 0.5. That worried me and why I wanted to ask before I did anything else.

Reactions: Mdragger88
U can ride it out maintaining 10ppm until the ph comes up with aeration. Then add the cya.(u only want 30ppm cya)
With a ta of 200 I hate for u to add to it with chems. Let’s see what @Texas Splash says

So my PH is already back up to 7.2. My plan is to ride it out close to 10ppm CL through the night as it is supposed to storm, which should help my PH. I will keep the SWG running through the night which isn't enough for a SLAM, but will keep something in there until I can test in the AM. I'll resume aerating and retest in the morning and see where the PH is. At that point, I will start to add the CYA slowly based on my PH reading. All the while keeping my CL at the SLAM level for the CYA. Does that sound reasonable?

chris, I think you've done good so far and your plan for this evening make sense. In the morning confirm the FC is able to hold before adding stabilizer just to ensure the water didn't try to revert to the way it was earlier today.

Quick update. I resumed aeration this morning and checked FC, which is holding. PH is up to 7.4-7.5, so I added my first dose of CYA and continue to hold my FC in the 8-10 range. I'll keep this up until I can get my CYA up to 30, then run a normal SLAM. Water is already looking much better, but still have a way to go. I have no idea how I got ammonia, but everything that happened make sense if it was. Thanks for the guidance as I was not sure what to do with the low PH, no CYA, and high TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.