Slam help

poolstretch

Aug 29, 2020
Rockville Centre, NY
Ok so I had some areas in my pool that looked like greenish algae. My pool water was still clear, but just had these spots. So I started a slam Using the cya/chlorine chart for nonSWG. I started about 5pm on Thursday and am still keeping my slam level up, but after I brush and vacuum the algae spots start coming back after a few hours. Am I missing something?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Are the spots all the same? I wonder if you have spots from more than one source (i.e. algae and iron)? Are you on a well? If that's not an issue, then I would suggesting posting all of you test numbers and perhaps show us a pic of your water and stains so we can evaluate everything together.

So your water looks good, Can you confirm your CYA please? For a salt pool, normally your CYA would be closer to 70, but I have a feeling yours is lower. Let us know. Are those spots embedded, or is it something that brushes away when moved?

A CYA of 30 is fine for the SLAM Process. With a cartridge filter (no backwashing) there should be no need to retest the CYA at this time. So an FC of 12 is perfect. Since the green brushes away easily, we have to assume those are algae spots. So you should continue with the SLAM Process. Make sure to inspect all areas of the pool. With an AGP, you may not have a light to remove, but if you have a main drain, look under the cover. Liner wrinkles can hide algae. If there's a ladder, remove it and pull it apart for inspection and cleaning. If you have steps (i.e. wedding steps) those can easily hide algae, so you'll need to look at those as well. Hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still looks like the same type of spots as from last Thursday. So let's do this ..... Maintain the SLAM Process for the remainder of today and do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test starting this evening. Let's see what your morning FC test is tomorrow. If you pass, we may need to shift our thinking a bit. Curious though, let us know if you uncover any algae in the ladder. Look closely under each step, separate the steps if possible, and check in each support tube. Ladders (adn steps can be some of the most frustrating areas of all.

It's good you passed the OCLT. That, along with the other two passed criteria, essentially mean you have passed a regular SLAM. That's good to know. Now the stuff settling to the bottom is odd. If you begin to look at those clumps as Mustard Algae (MA), then you'll want to increase the FC to MA levels, but only for 24 hours. Below is the MA page for more info. With a CYA of 30, your MA shock level would be about 18. Unless you have any obvious dropping in/around the pool, I think doing the MA treatment for 24 hours is a good option. Jeff's questions above is valid as well and you should add the test kit to your signature. Did you ever make it down to the drain?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.