SLAM before closing -- Question

Mam262

Bronze Supporter
Jul 26, 2015
Lansdale, PA
Thank you to for the TFP community. I have learned so much here. It is amazing how many of my friends and neighbors who have pools but don't follow TFP look at me like I am crazy when I tell them I have never set foot in a pool store and manage my pool myself.

Anyway...

My question is regarding closing. Is there a reason why it is not recommended to SLAM the pool after I lower the water level in the pool the same day I am closing it? It seems wasteful to me to pour the chorine in the pool to get it to SLAM level, only to drain a lot of water and chlorine a few days later. Even if my equipment is turned off after lowering the water, I can mix the water to perform the SLAM using my pool brush or put a submersible pump in the pool while I am blowing out the lines.

Thanks again,
Mike

I allow my water level to drift down over the last month just slightly above the skimmer (like 1") not to suck in air. Removing water 1" below the skimmer to close, therefore not wasting too much chlorine. Pennies on the dollar. I do not lower below the returns due to the "fear" of maybe producing wrinkles in the liner. Based on my size of my pool, we are only talking 1% of the volume. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.