SLAM Advice - CYA dropped significantly and gopher destroyed filter

anomale

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 23, 2011
Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Over the winter with all the rains we lost a huge amount of CYA went from 50 to 0 black dot test filled all the way up still visible. It's the first time I've measured in about 6 months since the water was always looking good and I had automated the pump and SWG so I didn't pay much attention (lesson Learned). I did add 4 bags of salt over the winter because SWG was complaining but it doesn't make sense that the rain would cause that much of a loss as there was no overflowing so that is the first issue. Ordering new re-agents as they were pretty old.

Currently doing a bucket test to rule out leaks but the drop over the last month seems normal to me. Even a leak in my mind shouldn't cause that much loss of CYA unless its an obvious massive leak.

Monday a gopher tunneled through our skimmer sidewall and dumped a bunch of dirt in the skimmer which over pressurized the filter and busted a pipe inside so I just installed a new/used filter (was much cheaper than repairing) but the pump has been off for 3 days and algae is forming. We have some yellow on the shaded walls and brownish spots on the steps and in the shallow end and the vacuum hose is turning brown.
435906774_1097141398238566_6383712226885613765_n.jpg436069003_771321778065049_2620710538885325174_n.jpg
Not sure where to start. Should I perform a slam with the current CYA levels to save on chlorine or should I raise the CYA then Slam? I have the powdered shock chlorine arriving next Wednesday but I'll put in some liquid for now and keep it elevated until the shock arrives.

On the bright side I caught 5 gophers over the past 2 days so that shouldn't be a problem for a while at least.

Last edited:
It is best to have some CYA (30ppm) for a SLAM because you do not want UV to consume the FC too quickly. You want the FC to fight algae and not get consumed by UV. Also lower pH to 7.2
Then raise FC to 12ppm for SLAM and maintain that level. Brush daily. Back wash the DE filter as needed.
Also vacuum to waste (do you have a multiport valve in front of the DE filter?) will help rid the large algae without going to filter.

It is best to have some CYA (30ppm) for a SLAM because you do not want UV to consume the FC too quickly. You want the FC to fight algae and not get consumed by UV. Also lower pH to 7.2
Then raise FC to 12ppm for SLAM and maintain that level. Brush daily. Back wash the DE filter as needed.
Also vacuum to waste (do you have a multiport valve in front of the DE filter?) will help rid the large algae without going to filter.
I have a backwash valve but don't have a manual vacuum only the kreepy crawley, I'll clean out the filters after the slam.

I did put one bag 1lb of shock last night and it is 75% better now. I'll follow through with the slam next week and keep it chlorinated until then to help minimize the growth.

During a SLAM is it ok to run the SWG to keep chlorine levels up during the day or is it not recommended?

During a SLAM is it ok to run the SWG to keep chlorine levels up during the day or is it not recommended?
SWCGs have finite hours so the recommendation is NOT to turn on a SWCG during a SLAM because liquid chlorine is providing the needed FC. However, it won’t hurt if you feel you must use the SWCG if you are unable to test and dose every 4-5 hrs.