Skimmer trim plate help

rolo918

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2015
Macomb mi
E826AC18-9F83-4F63-9525-7B769C3F3D32.jpeg I had my liner replaced a few years ago now closing it I found out that one of the screw holes are stripped and whoever installed it, put the wrong screw inside the hole. I bought the right ones but it just spins I need help. on ideas I can use. I tried putting a piece of plastic in the hole and it doesn’t help.
Do you think I’d be able to take the trim off without damaging the liner? So I can see behind it ??

Thank you in advance
Chris

Attachments

• EF2E2FA1-3960-4E98-A009-1F5DB22E20F5.jpeg
    EF2E2FA1-3960-4E98-A009-1F5DB22E20F5.jpeg
    528.3 KB · Views: 7
I myself would not take the trim plate off. The chances are really good that the liner will shift and you will never be able to get it to line back up. The most I would recommend is taking out the screws along the bottom and maybe the first two up on the sides, so you can pull they plate away a little and see what is going on.

My experience is that the skimmer body, where the screws go in, is not a solid piece. It looks like it does in this picture.

If the lug where the screw goes into is broken (as opposed to slightly stripped out) I doubt you would be able to make a sufficient repair, even if you could remove the plate and skimmer to do so.

If it is not leaking, I would just put the screw back in with a dab of silicone to hold it in place.

If you want to continue with the right-sized screw, you can use a glue syringe to carefully inject epoxy in the hole, filling it completely. Don't use so much that you end up gluing the facia plate on. When it's completely cured, carefully drill out the hole to the correct size.

JB Water Weld might be a good choice. It's white, so making a mess is harder. I'm not sure it's thick enough. You could also try one of the putty stick epoxies like Oatey's. Then you don't need a syringe. Just pack it in with a stout rod of the right size.

When you're ready to drill, a good way to get the right sized bit is remove one of the screws from a good hole and pick the biggest in your set that fits there. Also use the existing hole to determine correct depth. You don't want to create a leak by going too deep.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.