Skimmer Sock stuck somewhere in line

sharp7823

Jul 4, 2020
Central California
I heard the pump making a loud unusual sound and went to check it and the pump filter basket was almost empty. After shutting everything down I checked the skimmer and the sock (hair net) was missing. I ran water from a hose through the pump towards the skimmer and nothing. I tried to run a drain snake from the pump and also from the skimmer, but it could not make the 90 degree turn.
I usually have a rock in the bottom to hold the hairnet down, but I accidentally threw it out with the hairnet when I changed it last time.
Does anyone have any redocumentations? Here is a picture of the pump area, if that is any help.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpg
    IMG_4346.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 36
Got it! Finally! Took the top of the valves off as you suggested and ran a hose down as far as it would go, about 2 feet or so. Turned on the water. nothing came back up through the skimmer. Then put the shop vac in the skimmer and sucked some water up; nothing. Went and bought a Drain King bladder thingy and ran it from the valve and then from the skimmer nothing.
put everything back together and turned the pump on and it sounded better, so I kept a watch on the pump basket and lo and behold the sock was in there! Somewhere along the line I must have dislodged it at some point.

The pump can get hot running with no flow. This can melt connecting PVC plumbing, damage seals, bearings, mounting plates, etc. Upshot is to carefully inspect the pump and everything around and watch out for changed performance and leaks. You might consider disassembling to look for problems, but that's probably overkill unless you won't be able to keep an eye on it for a week or two. Hopefully there was enough flow to keep things cool, so all will be okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp7823
My basket locks in place via some notches - if I don’t be sure to do this, when the pump is off the basket will float & become askew when the pump comes back on. This action allows debris to be sucked in. Many frogs 🐸 have taken the ride of their lives this way!
Not sure if the OP has the ability to lock their basket in place with their particular skimmer.
Many people with older pools are often using a generic basket that isn’t designed for their original skimmer.

I usually have a rock at the bottom the basket and accidentally threw it out when changing the sock. I didn't replace the rock and I guess it just came loose from the basket when the pump was off?
Are you putting the sock on the outside of the basket? It should go on the inside along with the rock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have a 2" hole, I do not think that they make a 2" grate, but you can use a 2" x 1.5" threaded reducer in sch 40 or sch 80.

You might have to sand off the corners to make it fit without hitting the sides of the skimmer.

The grate will make sure that nothing gets in the pipe that is big enough to get stuck in the pipe.

1702941758672.png

The hole should have a grate like this.

Hmmm, that's a great idea!
I was looking into the skimmie sock lock that is a handle that attaches to the basket over the sock. But I may just just get the grate.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Many frogs 🐸 have taken the ride of their lives this way!
That's just awful to imagine....poor fellas.
excited kermit the frog GIF

The pump can get hot running with no flow. This can melt connecting PVC plumbing, damage seals, bearings, mounting plates, etc. Upshot is to carefully inspect the pump and everything around and watch out for changed performance and leaks. You might consider disassembling to look for problems, but that's probably overkill unless you won't be able to keep an eye on it for a week or two. Hopefully there was enough flow to keep things cool, so all will be okay.
So I noticed that not long after I last posted that the pump basket was only half full, so I shut everything down for a few days until I had time to look at it more closely. I thought it might be that air was getting in on one of the valve covers that I removed the other day, but I put some suds on it and that does not seem to be the case. My plan is to disassemble and check the seal and gasket.
This morning I turned it back on and I noticed that there was air coming out of one corner of the keypad - is this normal? Should I remove the keypad cover also??
Thanks again for any help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.