SKIMMER PROBLEM

ja123

May 21, 2018
NJ
Helloeveryone,

So I can’t seem to figure out this problem.

So I replaced the weir doors on my pool because of this problem and make sure they stop at the tab when the pump goes off to trap in debris (which is working). Instead of the smaller debris getting trapped in the basket It tends to float and when I go and clean out the baskets the debris goes back into the pool. Any idea what’s going on and how to stop the debris from going back into the pool? The heavier leaves get trapped in the basket but the smaller debris always go back in the pool only when i take the baskets out to clean them and it’s making me nuts. I recently changed my valve settings so that the suction is stronger but I guess when the pool pump is off the lighter debris are floating and when I take the baskets out the weir door moves letting out all the debris. Anyone have a fix for this or can tell me how to prevent it?

Thanks in advance!

What I do is reach in and push the weir up with my left hand and let the water level drop in the skimmer. It carries all that floating stuff into the basket. And then before the pump loses prime, I lift the basket with my right hand so it's up above the pool level and let the weir go so I can get my left hand out of there and lift the basket out.

Or you go to the pet store (or pet section in Walmart) and buy an aquarium net. It's a little tiny skimmer. Then you skim all the small stuff out before you grab the big basket.

What I do is reach in and push the weir up with my left hand and let the water level drop in the skimmer. It carries all that floating stuff into the basket. And then before the pump loses prime, I lift the basket with my right hand so it's up above the pool level and let the weir go so I can get my left hand out of there and lift the basket out.

Or you go to the pet store (or pet section in Walmart) and buy an aquarium net. It's a little tiny skimmer. Then you skim all the small stuff out before you grab the big basket.

So is this normal that this is happening?

Yes. That's the point of the skimmer and the weir -- to catch the debris floating on the surface of the pool. Eventually it will waterlog and sink. The goal is to get it in the skimmer basket before it happens. Otherwise you get to vacuum it out.

Ah I see. I thought there was a problem with my system. I will try what’s recommended above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Arghh, people, stop this bad habit of just throwing things away. Do you ever stop to think about where this magical “away”place is?
It could be your own back yard, landfill.
I bought six skimmer “socks”, they look like mini stockings, I pull them off when full and rinse them out, simple, reusable and much finer than the hair nets, which are undoubtedly also rinsable. It’s a small gesture, but they add up. And its cheaper!
Jvee

JVEE, I agree with you, but. I have the socks as well, but after a few washings, they don’t work well. Keep in mind my location. I live in an environment that has fine dust that blows around, and they (socks) tend to get “caked” up with that stuff. The hairnets work well for me.

If you only deal with leaves, bugs, small debris etc, then yes, I would think the socks would work fine. :cheers:

P.S I’m a recycling nut, I recycle everything I can, so I know where you’re coming from.

I use 1 gallon paint filters (Home Depot), they trap the small stuff and are easily cleaned (couple bucks for 5). I reuse for a month or two.

So is this normal that this is happening?

Yes normal. I have a variable speed pump and wait until the pump is running at a lower rpm to empty the basket. I also have a 6" wire kitchen strainer that I use to clean the surface water in the skimmer and also use it to scoop out any debris that try to go back into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.