Skimmer lid -- collar taller than patio

yankeelawyer

Bronze Supporter
Jun 21, 2016
Virginia
We are completing our patio around our pool and are trying to make skimmer lids that match (or complement) the patio. The existing / original skimmer lid is the same height as the pool coping (ie finished height of patio). I have the pour-a-lid kit but realized that the lid would sit about 3/8 inch higher than the surround because the collar that comes with it is too tall for our application. The only way to make it fit would be to trim the pour a lid collar (and lid frame) OR trim the neck of the skimmer (that is part of the skimmer unit itself).

The patio will be pavers (2.5 inches thick) over concrete. The skimmer neck will be about 3/4 inch above the concrete, so theoretically could be shortened.

Has anyone here had to shorten a skimmer collar (or pour a lid kit) to make a matching lid? Any tips would be appreciated.

Alternatively, I have seen a few threads on this forum recommending simply cutting a stone skimmer lid, to be installed without any plastic frame. Does anyone have any pictures showing the stone lid open? Does the lid rest only on the neck of the skimmer, or would it be larger than the skimmer opening so that it could be supported by concrete or whatever material surrounds the skimmer opening?

Thanks!

Agree with Keith that simply cutting down the skimmer top collar so when the pour-a-lid sits in it, it now rests at the proper height. I don't think you'd need the extension he mentions since you already have too much height. If you are going with concrete I highly recommend have the skimmer lids filled with the matching/finished concrete versus a stone. They do blend right it. We have them and I love them. Just don't drop them on your toes!

Our issue was the opposite. We were much higher. They didn't use extensions but rather set the pour-a-lid right in the decking at the right height leaving some exposed decking between the two pieces. No one sees it and it's perfectly functional. Yours would be completely unnoticeable. You'd just use a rotary Dremel as mentioned with a blade like this...http://www.sears.com/gyros-82-11215-saw-blade-w-mandrel-set-fine/p-00903118000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5bvEBRCM6vypnc7QgMkBEiQAUZftQCOp5j8TZPbkoPWRKCUCZlvuKjI1sBndBANF0aZ5WYYaAuFD8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

We are completing our patio around our pool and are trying to make skimmer lids that match (or complement) the patio. The existing / original skimmer lid is the same height as the pool coping (ie finished height of patio). I have the pour-a-lid kit but realized that the lid would sit about 3/8 inch higher than the surround because the collar that comes with it is too tall for our application. The only way to make it fit would be to trim the pour a lid collar (and lid frame) OR trim the neck of the skimmer (that is part of the skimmer unit itself).

The patio will be pavers (2.5 inches thick) over concrete. The skimmer neck will be about 3/4 inch above the concrete, so theoretically could be shortened.

Has anyone here had to shorten a skimmer collar (or pour a lid kit) to make a matching lid? Any tips would be appreciated.

Alternatively, I have seen a few threads on this forum recommending simply cutting a stone skimmer lid, to be installed without any plastic frame. Does anyone have any pictures showing the stone lid open? Does the lid rest only on the neck of the skimmer, or would it be larger than the skimmer opening so that it could be supported by concrete or whatever material surrounds the skimmer opening?

Thanks!
I think I have this issue right now as I have demolished the concrete decking and installing pavers. However, my concrete coping was 3" thick and my stone coping is 2" thick. So skimmer lid is too tall. How did you ultimately deal with the lid?

TLT, this is a really old thread and the original poster has not been on the forum in many months. You may want to try sending them a private message or starting a new thread with a couple of photos to get folks attention.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.