Skimmer/Equalizer - not sure how everything should be set

etuser

Mar 28, 2020
Houston
Hi - so I am learning more and more about my pool that I inherited in a recent home purchase.

On the pool side going into my pump, there are two pipes - one labeled skimmer/main drain and the other labeled skimmer. I have 2 skimmers and 2 drains at the bottom of the pool. I believe the skimmers are Pentair Admiral skimmers.

One skimmer has two holes in the bottom that are both open. The other skimmers has the same two holes, but has a float assembly placed on top of the two holes. The float assembly has a rotatable flap on the bottom for some sort of adjustment.

Can someone explain how this all works and how I should have it all set?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 8102473B-FACC-4C87-BD7A-72F1422CF143.jpeg
    8102473B-FACC-4C87-BD7A-72F1422CF143.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 1BFB59D4-170E-4000-9B2D-26D2C2038EFD.jpeg
    1BFB59D4-170E-4000-9B2D-26D2C2038EFD.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 19
  • AA3DA9C0-BC02-422E-B54C-95E9A90744CC.jpeg
    AA3DA9C0-BC02-422E-B54C-95E9A90744CC.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 18
Your suction lines share more than one device. While in some cases you can adjust where you pull water from by a 3-day valve near the equipment pad, some skimmers (with 2 holes), mean that while one hole goes to the pump, the other goes to another skimmer or drain. The saucer looking thing (diverter) lets you adjust how much water you want to allow to be pulled from the other device (skimmer or drain). You can experiment with it to see how it works best for your pool. Hint - usually skimming the water's surface is most important to catch debris in the skimmer before it sinks. But you can experiment.

Sometimes it depends on how the builder ran the pipes. For the skimmer closest to the equipment pad, I'm guessing that's the skimmer with 2 holes and the diverter disc? If so, the hole closest to the pad goes to the pad. The other hole (pool side) runs to either a drain or the other skimmer. You'll have to just play with it and watch for more or less suction at the other device. Sometimes it helps to have another person with you while adjusting the divert or 3-way valves.

Guess I could put a plug in there. Is there any way to confirm it isn’t open to anywhere?
Should be no need to plug. One hole should already be closed from underneath (during install). If you were curious as to which one was actually pulling water, you should be able to feel some suction placing your hand over each hole. My guess would be the hole facing the pool is pulling water and the hole facing away from the pool is closed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more question - based on my plumbing outlines and pictures above, do you think the two main drains just connect to the skimmer equalizer, or do they have separate plumbing that ties together at some point before entering the skimmers valve? I ask because one side of that valve says Skimmer/Main Drains and I don’t seem to have the ability to close off the main drains there. So wondering if the main drains are only having suction through the equalizer fitting (so in essence they don’t normally have suction) or if there is really no way to avoid suction from the drains. Thanks.

Really hard to know for sure. Since one line says "skimmer/drain", we can assume that one skimmer (I'm thinking the closest skimmer to the pad), has its second hole going to at least one drain - maybe two. Continuing to a second drain would seem excessive, but it may be that way since since the other branch line only says "skimmer". I'm thinking that other line goes to the skimmer farthest away. But the only way to know for sure is to close one side/branch line, and feel for suction at each device. Then close-off that line and open the other to see what changes. You also have a diverter disc in at least one skimmer which would indicate that hole underneath goes to another device. So you'll have to just play around with them all, then make some notes for future reference. Pool builds, specifically plumbing, is builder-dependant. The way your plumbing is routed could be totally different from your neighbors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.