Skimmer and Deck Jet Questions

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
We had a pool put in last fall at our new house and the installer winterized it. I’ve had a pool for 8 years and done all my maintenance thanks to this site, but this new pool has me questioning myself on a few topics

1. Skimmer – I’ve always dropped the water level below the skimmer inlet. But when they closed the pool the installer did not drop the water below the skimmer inlet, they just put these snap on covers over the skimmer, drained the water in the skimmer and plugged the lines as normal. So I’ve done the same this year. However, what I don’t know is are these covers supposed to be water tight? I’ve re-seated these probably 3 times and the skimmers still fill up overnight. Is this normal?

skimmer.JPG

2. Pentair Magic Stream Deck Jet II – I have three of these installed and I cannot get the deck jet out. Is there a special tool to use? Where can I get one? Does the jet pull off the swivel base? How? There is not enough room to get a wrench between the cup wall and onto the nozzle base to loosen it.

deckjet.JPG

Thanks for your help

..... Regarding your skimmer, did the PB clear the lines and what did they use as a plug? If water keeps entering the skimmer basket, then the cover and gasket is not sealed correctly.

......Magic Stream Deck Jet II (Where are these located?), and are they the returns in the pool? Have never seen anything like this. In a situation like this, if you are to remove them, before doing anything, it is highly suggested you call the manufacturer. Chances are that the special tool required to remove these will come from them. Do not attempt anything in question as it could cause problems later on.

Skimmer - The cover is like a tupperware container, it just snaps on, no gasket. Since I've tried a couple times already, I may put a bead of gasket lubricant in the grove to help get a better fit maybe its hanging up somewhere. As for the lines, I blew them out and used the plug that the pool builder provided, something like this
giz.JPG

As for the deck jet, they are located on the pool deck like so.
deckjet.JPG

Pentair says the nozzle pulls away from the base and its just "brute force" that does it. I tried pulling it apart but didn't want to damage it. Guess I'll try it again.

Thanks

Pentair says the nozzle pulls away from the base and its just "brute force" that does it. I tried pulling it apart but didn't want to damage it. Guess I'll try it again.

How many valves control the nozzles? If you can remove the water and close the valve, that is probably all that is needed. Assuming you can somehow close the nozzles with a plug or make sure water does not enter the piping. Maybe, even RV anti-freeze would be ideal in this situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Skimmer - The cover is like a tupperware container, it just snaps on, no gasket. Since I've tried a couple times already, I may put a bead of gasket lubricant in the grove to help get a better fit maybe its hanging up somewhere. As for the lines, I blew them out and used the plug that the pool builder provided, something like this

The Gizmo is fine and that is all you need. I would not worry about the cover at this point. These are designed for ice expansion, etc.

Deck Jets - They are all on one line with one valve. I blew out the water and shut the valve. If I can't pull the nozzles off, then an electrical tape plug and some duct tape should keep the water from getting in.

As for the skimmer, I'll readjust the covers one more time, double check the line then fill with the RV-Anti-freeze.

Thanks for your help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.