DoubleJRanch

Aug 10, 2020
Texas
Hey everyone! We're purchasing a fiberglass pool with a separate tanning ledge and we're struggling with the depth. After a few years of research and our super soft soil, we've settled on fiberglass for it's easy maintenance and longevity. What we're struggling with is which one to purchase. We have a 5 year old swimmer in the house, so 3 of us on an average day would be in the pool. HOWEVER, we also have 3 grandchildren (soon we'll have 5)! As I said, we're diverse lol. God blessed us with a son when we least expected it. The pool design we originally wanted was 16X39 and was a sports pool (the deeper area in the middle), but then we found out there's only actually 25 ft of swim space because the ends are both steps. So, we selected another pool..rectangle in shape and steps only at one end without a gradual increase in depth from 3'6" to 5'4". This pool option is only 14X33. The additional option available would be a 16X38 with a gradual increase in depth from 3'6" to 5'10". I honestly do not want a deep pool, but it sounds like we may need the swim space. So we have a growing son that LOVES SWIMMING, grandchildren and of course our adult children (the adults just enjoy relaxing and playing water games). This is the first pool we've had put in and we don't plan on moving. So considering our existing home life and the future of several grand babies, our adult children and summer birthday parties....can you offer any insight or advice from your own experience(s)?

Hi there! Welcome to TFP :wave:

Being that you're in Texas you will want too shallow pool as a sports pool is going to feel like a swamp come summer, unless you add a pool chiller.

I personally like a pool that allows for cannon balls and diving in, even if it doesn't have a diving board or rock. Kids grow and won't be toddlers for long and they're going to want to do more than just lounge in the pool. Get a bunch of kids together and it will be one competition after another- races, dives, going to the deep end to retrieve toys at the bottom of the pool, etc.

There are fiberglass pools that are deeper on one end. I'd highly recommend researching them too.

Maddie

Thank you so much for the welcome and for your thoughts! We've been a mess trying to eliminate an area of the pool that wouldn't be utilized, but I can definitely see how a deeper end will be utilized later. I thought 5'10" was pretty deep...it would be deep enough for cannon balls I'm assuming?

kids float around all areas of a pool sitting on noodles, with swimmer wings, floats, etc. As long as your have a decent space for the more shallow play games, a deep end is nice to have too.

As for depth for cannon balls- yes, kids can, adults will hit bottom.

I agree with going as big and deep as you can. Our pool was installed last fall, so this is our first summer using it. Our kids are 4 and 7, and I already wish we went deeper! Our pool is 3'-6'. I personally don't mind the 3' shallow - when i do laps my knuckles don't scrape (but I'm also short and don't have perfect form, lol). Kids are kids and will try to dive whenever they can, so I wish we went full dive depth. But I am not sure how deep a FG can go?

Annnnnway. So exciting for you! We are having a BLAST this summer with our pool and are so thankful the timing worked out with COVID and us being home. All.the.time. :LOL:

I know Latham has a model that has an 8' deep end. We didnt go with this one, but one of our neighbors is going to put this in next year....

Leisure also has one with an 8' depth...

Thursday pools also has one....

I had a lot of these bookmarked as I was doing a lot of research into FB pools. In the end, I had to go with a much smaller pool, with no 8' deep end, but hopefully all the research I did can help someone else out.

Thank you for sharing!! We were looking at the Kingston and it's still less than 6 feet deep. I was trying to avoid deep ends as they make me nervous with the little ones, but I can see how a growing son would prefer it later!

I agree with going as big and deep as you can. Our pool was installed last fall, so this is our first summer using it. Our kids are 4 and 7, and I already wish we went deeper! Our pool is 3'-6'. I personally don't mind the 3' shallow - when i do laps my knuckles don't scrape (but I'm also short and don't have perfect form, lol). Kids are kids and will try to dive whenever they can, so I wish we went full dive depth. But I am not sure how deep a FG can go?

Annnnnway. So exciting for you! We are having a BLAST this summer with our pool and are so thankful the timing worked out with COVID and us being home. All.the.time. :LOL:
Thank you for sharing your experience! It sounds like you are really enjoying it. Pools are such an expensive investment...it's scary making the final decision! I can't wait to finally choose one and get our little ones swimming!

I know Latham has a model that has an 8' deep end. We didnt go with this one, but one of our neighbors is going to put this in next year....

Leisure also has one with an 8' depth...

Thursday pools also has one....

I had a lot of these bookmarked as I was doing a lot of research into FB pools. In the end, I had to go with a much smaller pool, with no 8' deep end, but hopefully all the research I did can help someone else out.
I can't help but notice your profile photo. Did the pool company provide that drawing to you? I'd love to see our pool layout on paper!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't help but notice your profile photo. Did the pool company provide that drawing to you? I'd love to see our pool layout on paper!

Yes, my PB did the "3D" modeling of my planned pool. It is not nearly as impressive as a lot of ones I have seen around here, but it was enough for us. It shows where everything is currently, and where the new pool and sidewalk are going. I have plenty of pictures of the actual pool, and can see my yard, and it is not such a complicated layout. The 2D versions were also enough for us to apply for permits as well. In less than a month, they should start digging!

Layout.JPG

Go deep! 6’ or 8’ makes little safety difference for a small child. I’d get a diving rock for an 8’ pool though. 8’ is minimum for a diving board and really about too shallow for my liking. We have 8.5’ and I wish it was 9’.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.