Single vs. 2 Speed Pump

Zwrickers

Jun 21, 2019
Louisville KY
Hi, I'm having problems with my pool pump and decided to just replace it. I have a 17K above ground pool, 1.5 single flow older (5 years?) Waterway pump hooked up to Hayward Swimpro Voyager cartridge (15 years old).
I have easy access to two Hayward pumps, a 1.5 HP single speed SwimPro LX or a Hayward Powerflow Matrix 2.0 dual speed at Watsons I can pick up today. Cost is $250 vs. $400. I am trying to replace it myself and save $150 pool company. I run my pump 8 hours.

Will buying the 2 speed really save me that much money on electricity? Our season is 4 months only. Don't you have to go out and change the flow manually during the day then? That seems inconvenient.

Not sure but want to be economical and simple at this point in life.....

Will buying the 2 speed really save me that much money on electricity? Our season is 4 months only
The pump will not only pay for itself, it may pay for itself several times over in saved electricity costs. No joke. My VS pump had a wattage readout and it was 30X the wattage to run it on its highest setting VS the lowest. The 2 speed pump has a slightly higher speed for its low speed, but it’s still a 90% + savings.

When the SS pump pushes you into the higher bracket on the electric bill, everything else that requires electric will become that much more expensive to use at the higher rates.

Does it have to be changed today? If not get this one and change to a VS pump.. It has its built in schedule that once set will run on a 24 hour cycle so you can run as many or less amount of hours per day.. some run 24/7 at 1000 rpm costing 10 dollars a month.. :)

Yes it is 100 dollars more but the money you save in just 4 months will pay for it...

When I had my 2 speed I ran on low 98% of the time.. I only ran about 12 hours, about the same amount of time I do with the VS now... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.