Single Speed Pump and Solar Cover

Auctor

Aug 22, 2019
Central NJ
Hi All

I recently purchased a solar cover for my pool in hopes that I could extend my swimming season. I don't have a heater, and originally planned to switch to a variable speed pump. Due to various reasons, I did not pull the trigger on my new setup this year, so I'm left with an uninstalled cover and a single-speed pump. I run the pump for ~7 hours per day, 7am-1030am, and 830pm-midnight. This system has worked well for me the past few seasons, saving me money on electricity while keeping my pool crystal clear.

My new plan is to install the cover and only keep it on at night - this way, my pool is well mixed going into the evening, and then mixed again in the morning by the time I take off the cover. Do you see any issues with this plan? Do you think there are any ways to use the cover during the day while limiting my pump usage? Am I overthinking the likelihood of algae growth during the day with the cover on and no water moving? Any thoughts and experiences would be most welcome. Thanks!

Adjust your returns down a little if they break the surface too much for the cover (they can push the cover away). Other than that the cover and pump times don’t matter. Mine ran 24/7 with the cover on. You have to open it up every few days for an hour so the water can breathe, but that’s about it. :)

Yup. You won’t need the returns to skim with the cover on, which is why they are usually adjusted a tad upwards to move the surface water. Mine ran at low RPM so it didn’t disturb the cover, but with the SS you may need to adjust your returns down a bit more than I did. You’ll have to play with it and see. Water height matters here too because if you are low the returns are more apt to push the cover no matter which way they are directed. You may need to keep your water a little higher than you normally did.

If anything, once the FC loss is reduced from less UV burning it off during the day, you may be able to reduce runtime as well because it won’t need to be as mixed as it has been, or as often. Personally I REALLY like being well mixed, especially when it rains so I always advise more run time and not less, But most of that is just my own personal feelings.

If you get a reel the cover straps will keep the cover anchored if you put it on the return side.

Quick check in - I installed the cover on Thursday, and now, two days later, temp is up ~5 degrees and *knock on wood* no issues yet. I purchased the 16mil variety, which is heavy as heck, so the cover doesn’t move while my pump is running. Couple of newbie challenges: 1) trying to evenly load the cover onto the reel is a challenge and hasn’t worked perfectly yet; 2) pool still gets some leaves and tree debris, so I need to run robot with the cover on to ensure that they play well together.

Will check in again in a few days. It’s weird - I’m a bit paranoid w/r/t possible algae given that my winter cover often gets covered in the stuff, but I guess the solar cover is different since I’m constantly adding chlorine and the cover is coming on and off regularly.

1) trying to evenly load the cover onto the reel is a challenge and hasn’t worked perfectly yet
I sense strap adjustments in your future. :) It doesn’t take much to have the whole thing out of whack. You’ll get your groove down and just know where to tug after a while. I can’t count how many times I stopped half way, ran to the other side and straightened out a little to allow the rest to roll evenly.
pool still gets some leaves and tree debris
most can be swept to the side with the pool brush and scooped off by hand. Word of caution though anytime you are kneeling or doing anything akward around the cover…. Be super careful. It will make you into an underwater cocoon if you fall on it. My dog tried to run across it and luckily he was trapped with his head above water because it took 10 mins to get him out. So yeah. Fall away from the pool if you sense it coming.
I’m a bit paranoid w/r/t possible algae given that my winter cover often gets covered in the stuff, but I guess the solar cover is different since I’m constantly adding chlorine and the cover is coming on and off regularly.
The underside is well treated. The top will have stagnant rain/sprinkler puddles and morning dew dampness. I used the pool brush to sweep any puddles back into the pool. Or you can just open/close it every day. Most times it was easier and quicker to use the brush.

Thanks Newdude.

Another quick follow-up - leaving the cover on during the day definitely warms the water compared to taking it off and letting the sun do its work. Added benefit - less evaporation means less manual filling of the pool with cold, untreated water from the hose. Also, less chlorine utilization! I'm up 0.5ppm from where i usually end up, even after a couple of hours of pool use.

I've been slowly trimming the cover to improve the reel flow, and yes, a lot of strap adjustments as well. Not quite figured it out, but a work in progress. Coming up on 5 days and no signs of our green friend. I really didn't think it was possible to pair a solar cover with a single speed pump! :D

Reactions: Newdude
I've been slowly trimming the cover to improve the reel flow………but a work in progress
Mine stretched a few times. I trimmed it the first day, again after a week or so and a third time several weeks later after the sun got it all stretched out and pliable.
leaving the cover on during the day definitely warms the water compared to taking it off and letting the sun do its work
Mine definitely made the top inch or so scorching hot. But it doesn’t make much of a dent in the overall pool volume. There are 66 inches (average) below it. :)

The key is your overnight evap will all but stop when the pool is warm and the nighttime is much cooler. So the next day you’ll closer to your previous high and not the average between the 2. It’s awesome when one or 2 cool days show up. The pool keeps most of its warmth. With an extended cool streak it won’t matter that you are 7 degrees above where you *should* have been at 60 degrees without the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.