Since this is the “Coffee Bar”…. Anybody have an electric percolator they ❤️ ?

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am currently on a quest for an electric percolator - my demands are simple:
1.Brew delicious hot coffee ☕
2.Keep said coffee ☕️ hot 🔥 until I turn the pot off via my wifi outlet.
Pots I have tried-

1. Vintage Presto 12 cup circa 1980’s - brewed a little too cool (i am sure due to its advanced age & life cycle) but was still a delicious first cup however the subsequent cups were not hot - i’m sure the heating element was going out - i borrowed it as a trial to see if i wanted an electric percolator as I really enjoy my stove top ones but they aren’t super practical for me daily.

2. Capresso 12 cup - 1st cup fairly hot - subsequent cups needed to be microwaved ❌ also bulky - returned it

3. Cuisinart 12 cup - my mom has this & loves it- 1st cup is hot! However it doesn’t make very strong coffee compared to the 1st two 🤷‍♀️ Also all subsequent cups must be microwaved. It definitely won’t warm up that dab in the bottom of your cup. Keep warm is like lukewarm… Hers is not like this.
I suspect it is just the luck of the draw w/ modern electric appliances from china. Maybe mine is a bit of a dud? I plan to return it next time i go to town.

4. New Presto 12 cup- it is in transit now. I am hoping it performs well. Fingers crossed 🤞
Since i plan to leave it plugged in & on a timer/ smart plug 🔌 I really need a new one so hopefully it won’t burn my kitchen down.
Also fixing the old presto isn’t really possible- they don’t sell replacement elements or thermostats - only cords & lids. ☹️

I am hoping my quest comes to an end when the new Presto pot arrives (it has marvelous reviews) but incase it does not, hit me up with your recommendations so i am not doomed to lukewarm/ microwaved coffee ☕️ forever….
Ps- my drip coffee pot had this problem as well which is why it’s been banished to the cabinet.
I drink coffee from 5:45am until about 1pm every day- it’s super important 😁!

I really enjoy percolated coffee. I can't help with info about the electric ones though, the only one I've ever had is a stovetop unit.

I switched to cold brew about 6 years ago. The cold brew process removes the acidity from the coffee providing a much smoother tasting brew. Still have the old percolator though. In fact, I have umpteen different methods I can brew you a cup. Pour over, cold brew, stovetop espresso with a Moka pot (for Cafe Cubano style coffee, or just espresso), percolator, cold drip, or immersion.

Although, for keeping coffee hot, it's hard to beat the Bunn drip coffee makers with warming plate. That's what we have at work. Brews quickly and keeps the coffee hot. Although they will turn the coffee to tar pretty quick, if you aren't going through it very quickly.

--Jeff

Reactions: Mdragger88
I don't have a recommendation since I don't use a percolator. I think over 90% of the credit towards a good cup of coffee is due to the coffee itself, not the process of making the coffee. I think it starts with higher quality, fresh, whole bean coffee. It needs to be ground using a burr grinder right before you brew. Using ground Folgers coffee from a 3 pound can is not going to lead to a good cup no matter what coffee maker you use.

I don't have a recommendation since I don't use a percolator. I think over 90% of the credit towards a good cup of coffee is due to the coffee itself, not the process of making the coffee. I think it starts with higher quality, fresh, whole bean coffee. It needs to be ground using a burr grinder right before you brew. Using ground Folgers coffee from a 3 pound can is not going to lead to a good cup no matter what coffee maker you use.
It's definitely dependent on the coffee quality. It can be a pre ground too. I like the pour over method as it makes exactly what I need but there are very good coffee makers with built in grinders that'll grind just before the brew.

To be honest I’m more concerned about it starting hot & staying hot 😁 I’m no coffee connoisseur by any means - i buy my stuff @ Sam’s or the Walmarts 🤣
however i do prefer percolated over drip or keurig as they generally make it taste like plastic.
There’s also something special about campfire 🔥 ☕️ coffee brewing that’s a magical experience - i however can’t do that every day so i’ll settle for a plug in job 🔌

Hello. I'm perplexed how a coffee that's been sitting in a percolator for 6 hours can taste delicious?!
I do realize quality is compromised the longer it stays on the heat (or really just after it sits - hot or not).
However, I do alter my coffee with “additives” so the end of the pot is of course masked a bit. I don’t always keep the same pot going for that long. Especially if I’m not the only one drinking coffee that day. I definitely don’t expect 6 hr old coffee to taste like 5 min ago coffee but I would like it to be more than lukewarm 🤣
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect at least the 2nd/ 3rd cup to be hot & taste fairly good. It’s got to be possible to keep it the right temperature for drinking for at least a couple hours without burning it or letting it get lukewarm. I just think its a hit or miss thing w/ the newer models - many reviewers of older “garage sale finds” measure the temps & they are more acceptable than I’ve experienced w/ the new models.
I have been on the lookout for a lightly used yet vintage pot but no luck as of yet.

It's definitely dependent on the coffee quality. It can be a pre ground too. I like the pour over method as it makes exactly what I need but there are very good coffee makers with built in grinders that'll grind just before the brew.

All the coffee snob websites state that coffee must be ground at time of use. I kind of agree with them since it takes me two weeks to go through an 8 oz bag. That is two weeks the aromatics are off-gassing from the ground coffee once the bag seal is broken.

Also pre-ground coffee generally comes in just a medium grind. I grind my beans to a medium-fine size.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update***
The presto arrived yesterday & it’s a hot mama!!
The search for hot coffee ☕️ is over as Esmeralda is here ! 🤣 She’s curvy & bold!
080C47B0-4773-444F-A795-35EA31854FCC.jpeg
It’s stand by temp is also much hotter than the cuisinart allowing you to “warm up” your current 1/2 empty cup when refilling.
This confirms my suspicion that both the cuisinart & the capresso were just kinda duds & also that the borrowed vintage presto had really lived a life!
Especially since my mom’s identical recently purchased cuisinart performs quite well.
Going on some of y’alls suggestions I did purchase several small bags of coffee yesterday at Aldi instead of that giant can for a little fresher results.
Perhaps I’ll become more of a coffee snob one day & grind my own beans & all that - but for now I’ll just be loading this baby up the night before & waking up to hot go juice when my alarm goes off 😁

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.