Simple question..and yet I am confused.

lsbarkley

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2007
New Jersey
Hello all fellow TFPers,

Okay I am raising my hand with a "stupid" question but there are supposedly no "stupid" questions.

To turn the port valve when vaccuming or setting up pressure cleaner do I need to shut off pump before turning valve handles or can I just turn when pump is running. I dont mean the handle on the filter. I mean the ones that shut off my returns and direct to pressure cleaner line. I have been turning them with the pump running but saw the other day in small letters on the handle.."turn off pump before moving". Thanks.

Ls

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
You need to turn off the pump anytime you want to change the settings on the FIlter, if you dont you will cause damage. I am assuming the reasoning behind this is, when under power, there is pressure in the filter, and the inside guts are made of plastic so they can be broken with the added pressure of being turned.

If these ball valves are after the filter and do not restrict flow to it then you can change their direction without turning off pump. I do it here all the time with my waterfall and return jets.

crazycanuck

Mar 29, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I have been moving my drain/skimmer/suction side valves and return side valves without turning off the pump and
I havnt had any problems. I don't remember the PB ever telling me to turn the pump off, only when switching the filter multiport valve.

DaveNJ

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
Toms River, NJ
Don't know it makes a difference, but I change positions slowly. Cavitation and sudden change in flow to plumbing, less stress.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Depending on how things are plumbed there can be pressure spikes while turning the valves if flow was restricted for a moment, which could cause damage. Also, some valves are not designed to be moved while under pressure, for example multi-port valves. If the valves say on them not to turn while the pump is on I would follow their advice.

crazycanuck

Mar 29, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I looked over my valves and none of mine say anything about not moving while pump is on... but I do try and do it slowly so there is not too much of a drastic change in pressure at one time.

Other Threads of Interest