Shutoff valve not completely turning off water

bryanq480

Jul 16, 2020
tempe, az
Hi all
So I drained my pool Sunday night(and turned off the autofill valve), and noticed when I attempted to turn the valve off, the water did not completely shut off. I had to rig the float valve, put a brick up against it, in order to stop the water.
Any ideas?
Thanks for everything.

OK. I've got one of those plastic types inside my house that won't physically close all the way either. Not sure what happens to them, but outside the sun does a number on them over time. I know of no way to repair them, simply replace. If you can do PVC pipe work then you can do it yourself.

I'm sure other more knowledgeable people will chime in as well.

The reason you're having trouble with that valve is the same reason you'll have trouble with the next one. They're junk. Especially out in the sun. They leak. They break. They freeze. I like the quarter-turn valves that scottts suggested, in brass. You'll need to use adaptors to get them inline with the PVC. We can walk you through that, or you can get a plumber or handyman to do it.

You'll need something like this:

and something like a couple of these:

If the length of the two adaptors screwed together with the new valve are not longer than what you'll need to cut out, you'll also need a PVC coupler and a short length of PVC pipe.

Get a measurement (or the size) from the PVC pipe, and take that down to the local big-box store. Find the right parts, or ask for help, and make sure they all fit together before bringing them home. You'll also need some teflon tape and some PVC primer and glue. It's a fairly simple job.

Reactions: wireform

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you post a picture of the valve you need to replace? We can have a look to make sure you won't run into any snafus...

Last edited:
Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.