Should there be bubbles here? Hayward XStream above ground filter

Kevin8520

Jul 17, 2022
Southern California
Hello all! Long time listener, first time caller.

I have a Hayward XStream above ground cartridge filter system. In general this thing is amazing and makes the water crystal clear. The system worked flawlessly last season. This year I have small bubbles in the filter basket, which I understand means an air leak on the suction side. I am able to bleed off air every few hours so air is getting in there somehow.

Here are the details:
- There are no bubbles going into the pool
- The filter basket stays full
- I've replaced every o ring in the system and tightened every clamp
- I've disassembled the ball valve on the suction side and re-taped the threads
- I've ran water over every part of the system and the bubbles never stop and I can't see any apparent cracks
- Tried the shaving cream trick and nothing shows up
- I run the pump about 8 hours a day

Here is a short video of the bubbles. I'm assuming this is not normal? Any insight on what to do next would be awesome.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You don't just have bubbles, the pump pot's water level looks to be about 1-2 inches low, so that is a problem. Air is getting in on the suction side somewhere. With all those new O-rings, did you lube them all with pool silicone lube? Water level is good at the skimmer with the weir door operating properly? How about posting a pic of the equipment pad for us?

Pool Care Basics

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You don't just have bubbles, the pump pot's water level looks to be about 1-2 inches low, so that is a problem. Air is getting in on the suction side somewhere. With all those new O-rings, did you lube them all with pool silicone lube? Water level is good at the skimmer with the weir door operating properly? How about posting a pic of the equipment pad for us?

Pool Care Basics
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

The water level in the pump basket is completely full. The angle in the video makes it look low.

I did lube the Crud out of every o-ring I installed with the pool lube that came with my Hayward pump rebuild kit.

I do not have a skimmer, instead I have the two 1.25" outlets that join at a T and then go into the pump inlet. The two white hoses and the 2 gray hoses are brand new.

Do I understand correctly that there should be ZERO bubbles in the pump basket? If so, I must have a hairline crack somewhere because I have replaced, lubed, or reseated nearly everything except for the cartridge filter housing top/bottom halves.

Here is a picture of the pad. Thank you again for taking the time to reply :)

Attachments

• IMG_7012.JPEG
    IMG_7012.JPEG
    543.6 KB · Views: 6
How's the pressure on the filter or when was the last time the cartridges were cleaned because if you have restriction on the output/return side of the filter that can cause bubbles to form in the suction side basket. Does your pressure gauge rest at zero when the pump is off to be sure the gauge is reading correctly.

How's the pressure on the filter or when was the last time the cartridges were cleaned because if you have restriction on the output/return side of the filter that can cause bubbles to form in the suction side basket. Does your pressure gauge rest at zero when the pump is off to be sure the gauge is reading correctly.
Pressure gauge is at 0 when the pump is off. 10 psi when the pump is running with a clean filter. I change it or clean it around 18-20psi. The filter was cleaned about a week ago. The air leak/bubble problem started before the filter change.

Do I understand correctly that there should be ZERO bubbles in the pump basket?
Ideally yes, but it's also no unusual to have a few small bubbles under the lid. Since you confirmed the pump pot is basically full, I wouldn't worry about it. I use a similar pump (2-speed) like you and it almost always has some bubbles under the lid. If they get excessive I just bump it up to high speed for a few seconds to purge the air. You should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.