Should i upgrade 12” pump on 12x24 intex

h0va4life

Jul 23, 2020
Atlanta, GA
The sand filter pump is rated for up to 8500 gallons which is the size of the pool. Is it worth changing out?

I plan to add the Intex deluxe skimmer, plug the other outlet per the skimmer instructions and have the positive Intex auto cleaner vacuum as well in addition to the larger size Intex saltwater generator.

Pump I have:

Last edited:
Reactions: Michelle22
Sounds like you may be using the original 12" pump/filter combo that came with the pool correct? If so, no doubt those are very small and not the most efficient. A larger filter capacity, say 16" or even 24", would serve you well with a longer interval between backwashing. While Intex does sell larger pump/filter combos, you might also ask yourself what direction you want to go. Do you go with a pump/filter combo, or a separate pump and filter. Keep in mind Intex uses proprietary hose connection sizes, so if you get a different pump and filter manufacture (which many do) you may need to learn the ropes of how to get those 1.5" versus 1.25" fittings to marry-up together. It's done a lot, just something you want to know ahead of time.

Reactions: h0va4life
Sounds like you may be using the original 12" pump/filter combo that came with the pool correct? If so, no doubt those are very small and not the most efficient. A larger filter capacity, say 16" or even 24", would serve you well with a longer interval between backwashing. While Intex does sell larger pump/filter combos, you might also ask yourself what direction you want to go. Do you go with a pump/filter combo, or a separate pump and filter. Keep in mind Intex uses proprietary hose connection sizes, so if you get a different pump and filter manufacture (which many do) you may need to learn the ropes of how to get those 1.5" versus 1.25" fittings to marry-up together. It's done a lot, just something you want to know ahead of time.
Thank you for the reply- it has the 14” but I’ve read this seasons model only includes the 12 - so crazy!!!

I’m torn regarding the combo vs individual- I like the idea of only one power cable. But if I had individual components then I could hook a pump to a smart plug - as unfortunately the Intex system doesn’t start unless a button is pressed.

I like the idea of only one power cable.
Those combos are convenient, but as a package you are somewhat "locked-in". If something goes bad, you almost have to toss everything and start over. A failed SWG might be the exception as you could still add liquid chlorine. Your budget will probably influence your choses the most, so take your time and ship around, looking both at combo packages and separate pump/filter/SWG products. Lots of options. If you use our search function above you will se many, many examples of people who have upgraded their Intex set-up. Smart plugs, Intermatic timers, and more all help to make operating your system much easier.

Just as a starter (reference) point, here are some examples of combo package versus separate item purchases. These are just a few initial items I searched. There are many more.

COMBOS

Separate Item Purchases:

Salt generators jump in price rather quickly anywhere from about $500 to $1,500 depending on the size of the SWG, manufacture, etc.

This list example is only the tip of the iceberg. You can see that costs can vary quite a bit. Either way, I would ensure you look for these key features regardless of combo or separate item purchases::

- Sand filter no smaller than 16"; preferably 19-24 inches.
- Pump motor anywhere between .75 - 1.5 HP strong; NO single speed motors.
- SWG rated for at least 2X the size of your pool.

Just as a starter (reference) point, here are some examples of combo package versus separate item purchases. These are just a few initial items I searched. There are many more.

COMBOS

Separate Item Purchases:

Salt generators jump in price rather quickly anywhere from about $500 to $1,500 depending on the size of the SWG, manufacture, etc.

This list example is only the tip of the iceberg. You can see that costs can vary quite a bit. Either way, I would ensure you look for these key features regardless of combo or separate item purchases::

- Sand filter no smaller than 16"; preferably 19-24 inches.
- Pump motor anywhere between .75 - 1.5 HP strong; NO single speed motors.
- SWG rated for at least 2X the size of your pool.

Thank you greatly for this information! Especially the rule of thumb at the bottom.

Maybe we can add a link for this thread to Useful links for fellow Intex Pool Owners

What are the plans for the future ? Will you keep replacing the intex ? Will you go larger when you do ? Will you upgrade to a permanent (and possibly larger) above ground pool ?

Buy the equipment your next pool needs, it will likely outlive this one. :)

What are the plans for the future ? Will you keep replacing the intex ? Will you go larger when you do ? Will you upgrade to a permanent (and possibly larger) above ground pool ?

Buy the equipment your next pool needs, it will likely outlive this one. :)

Thank you for the great advice! Honestly I can see myself just swapping out intex stuff, and might consider inground but that would be waay far out in the future.

I am a scavenger - i try to find well kept used equipment for cheap.

Reactions: Newdude
Honestly I can see myself just swapping out intex stuff,
Sweet. Having solid thoughts about it makes it SO much easier.
I am a scavenger - i try to find well kept used equipment for cheap.
I sold mine on the offer up app. I'd continue with the factory stuff and search offerup, FB marketplace and CL. It's full blown spring by you and I bet there's good deals on permanent pool equipment to be found.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.