Should I SLAM again??

Aug 19, 2018
Deer Park/NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So a couple weeks ago I had some algae so I SLAMmed the pool. Yesterday I saw a water boatman and I know they feed on algae so I was very concerned. I decided to do another OCLT...chlorine went down by 1ppm (I know it’s a touch low right now and am about to add chlorine). My CC is .5 and the water is completely clear but when I brush it I do get a little bit of a green/grayish “dust cloud” BUT ONLY IN THE DEEP END. Should I SLAM again or is that dust cloud normal and maybe just because the walls and floor in the deep end don’t get walked on and the water doesn’t get stirred up as much as the shallow end? Side note: I do not have a drain/skimmer in the ground in the deep end but I feel like I probably should?

Last edited:
I get boatman bugs and other insects from time to time in algae-free water, so I wouldn't use that as a determining factor. Although close, you did appear to pass the OCLT. However if you are seeing any green at all, either attached to the pool surface or when you brush, it's time to SLAM. Get it early for sure.
SLAM Process

I get those boatman bugs, coming from birds I believe.... I use dawn dish soap to kill them :) works great.. not sure how much for your size pool but I use about 1 to 2 cups in the skimmer and the next day I am boatman free... I usually have to do it 2 times a year...

Reactions: librajenn626
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.