NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So we had our first pool party yesterday about 15 people in a 15,000 gallon gunite pool. Pool store told me to put 2 bags of shock in it after the party. I have the bags but I just tested the water and these are my numbers which look perfect. Note: just finished my 28 days past gunite complete so I’m still running on regular chlorine not salt water pool yet. I didn’t want to mess with the SWG right before.

Chlorine : 5
PH: 7.5
Alkalinity: 80

1. Do I need to shock even with good numbers?
2. if so how many bags? 2?
3. How soon can we swim after the shock is added.
4. I’d like to Vacuum the pool I have to wait correct? How long?
Thanks.

Get to know your pool - test before, during, and after parties. You’ll get a sense of how much chlorine consumption per person per hour. I keep my FC toward the max of the acceptable range based on my CYA level and then either add chlorine (as you will have to) or turn my SWG up to 100%. Remember it’s safe to swim up to SLAM level.

Reactions: VegMaPa
1 - No, but monitor. As noted above, most of us might increase the FC about 2 ppm or so just before/after a big event. Looks like you avoided a large FC drop. Either everyone was squeaky clean, no one pee'd in the "ool" or no one spilled drinks. :cheers:
2 - Use PoolMath (effects of adding chemicals) to confirm, but I prefer liquid chlorine.
3 - A few minutes after dissolved into the water
4 - Now that you are past the plaster cure time frame, vacuum whenever you need to. If you add chemicals, as long as they are dissolved it's no issue.

Reactions: VegMaPa
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.