Should I replace my motor?

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
I have a Hayward 1HP Motor which came with the pool when I bought my house about 4-5 years ago. It was loud and was told it doesn't have much left to it. It has run great (but very loud) for that time, not a single problem.

This year the motor wouldn't start and just hummed. I took the back off and spun the shaft and got it started. It has been running for a week without problems but the flow from the jets is a lot less than normal. I just took the DE filter part and washed down the grids.

I am thinking about proactively replacing the motor before it is permanently dead, plus the lack of pressure concerns me. I was looking on InTheSwim for some chemicals and noticed the motors thought about ordering one and having my electrician install it when he comes over to do other work since it is hard-wired.

I have a couple of questions.

1) Is 1HP enough for a 40x23x9 pool? It seems to be on the smaller end of available motors and it is a big pool. I am curious if a bigger one would put less stress on it. I assume it runs at full speed all the time so that's not likely the case. But all the .75 and 1HP motors are sold out for who knows how long.

2) Is installation easy that I can have an electrician do it? I'm going to check out some videos.

3) Since I have a 1HP now, would a 1.5HP work as that's the closest one I can find that is in stock.
The motor I currently have is C48K2N143B1

4) Do I need to order anything other than the motor?

I was told when I bought the house by the pool company who maintained it that a replacement motor would run me around $750 installed. They seemed a lot cheaper than I expected which makes me want to just replace it now and not have to worry about it in the future. The thing is ancient I am sure, I can't see any date code on the label.

At this point I would use this equipment failure as an excuse to upgrade to a Variable speed pump. Not sure about your state, but here in CA we are already mandated to install only VS pumps and its my understanding that is going nationwide soon. I have see where some motors can be replaced with VSP motors on the same pump, but it seems to be as expensive as putting in a whole new unit. Check with your Utility company, there may very well be a rebate program too.

At this point I would use this equipment failure as an excuse to upgrade to a Variable speed pump. Not sure about your state, but here in CA we are already mandated to install only VS pumps and its my understanding that is going nationwide soon. I have see where some motors can be replaced with VSP motors on the same pump, but it seems to be as expensive as putting in a whole new unit. Check with your Utility company, there may very well be a rebate program too.

How does a variable work, is it automatic or do you turn it up and down based on something?

Some have 24 hour timers integrated, while others rely on external timers for power on/off and internal countdown timers to select speed. Some are one of the above, but can also be configured to completely rely on pool automation systems for control. How is your current pump controlled?

I have a manual dial timer, I've been wanting to switch it to digital, but I would love to have a motor with built-in timer and solve both problems.

I was looking at something like this to install at the same time:

Intermatic ET1125C 24-Hour 30-Amp Electronic Time Switch

The main reason is I wanted to do two or more cleanings a day rather than all at once.

I have a dolphin that does a lot of the hard work.

I had a single speed 1HP Superpump. I went with the 1.65 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS SP2302VSP (requires external timer). I believe the SP2303VSP has the full timer. Some say that these pumps are smaller than they prefer, but it has been perfect for me.

Here is the energy star in-ground pump products sorted my most efficient. You'll see the SP2303VSP is right up there.
Smaller than you prefer? Size wise or power? You went from 1HP to 1.65HP so I assume it is the physical size you are not happy with? Wouldn't smaller footprint be better?

The new VS pump is smaller and quieter even at full speed. At full speed (3000 rpm), it consumes 913 watts. If I'm doing the math right, I am utilizing 1.25 HP of the designed 1.65 HP.

At its slowest speed of 600 rpm, it uses an astonishing 26 watts, and still manages to keep the SWG flow switch satisfied, though it is currently programmed to run at 1500 rpm at its slowest.

This site says the biggest difference between many pumps are the impeller, not the motor. They recommend going with a larger horsepower and just run at a slower RPM to keep it quieter and cooler. This could make sense, especially since I don't use the 600-1500 rpm range now.

Honestly though, I got mine for $600, then got a $400 rebate. It just might come down to finding a good price since the pump will perform.

Watts vs. RPM (1).png

I got the pump from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. The rebate was through electric company. DIY installed.

How to size?
I'm no authority, but others can help if you give a description of your pool. Many will start by asking about existing equipment and if it is performing well. Further information about the number of skimmers/returns/main drains. What diameter pipe do you have in ground and on pad? How long are your runs? Are there pipes per skimmer/return/MD or are they shared? Do you have or envision possibly installing solar heat?

With this (perhaps excessive) info at hand, hopefully someone with a bit more experience can assist with precise product selections for your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.