Should I raise calcium hardness during SLAM?

Good morning! A CH of zero? Are you absolutely sure? That is extremely unusual. Is your fill water that soft, and have you tested it recently? Any chance there is a testing error?

I also can't help but notice you show a very low CYA which would only require an FC level of 10-12 at most for the SLAM, but you are showing an FC of 27? Very high. Can you clarify first please so we can help?

Indeed! I forgot to add the 3 drops of R-0011L. I have retested and CH is 125. Still below target so my question still stands.

The FC is high because I stupidly used the mini test kit when first adding chlorine. FC showed low with the mini-test kit and then when I used the full kit, it showed correctly at 27. So I had added almost triple the amount of chlorine that I needed to SLAM. I should have used Poolmath.

Only my second season using the SLAM method so please excuse my errors.

No worries. The FC will fall shortly on its own. Based on your update, I would do a couple things at this point..
1. Go ahead and add some calcium. Use the PoolMath tool to confirm how much is needed for your pool size to get the CH to at least 200. Then you can re-evaluate the CH after the SLAM.
2. If the CYA is still below 30, I would also add just enough stabilizer to ensure you are at a solid 30. That will protect your FC from the sun and help for the SLAM. You can use the PoolMath tool once again and estimate how much stabilizer would be needed to increase the CYA by 10 ppm, that way you don't go too high. You can always add more later if needed.

That should help get you through the SLAM, then you can double-check things afterwards. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.