Should I put a drain valve on my cartridge filter tank?

spacerobot

Aug 1, 2019
New York State
I have an above ground pool with an "Outdoor Pro" cartridge filter. There is a drain plug at the bottom I need to take off to drain the tank with when I want to clean the filter. The water runs all over the electrical and everything due to them being right there. I was think how cool it would be to screw in a little valve with a handle, then i could hook a hose up it and just turn the valve when I need to drain and run in out beyond to the ditch. Any consequences to this? Can anyone recommend a valve? Here is a pic of my drain plug. Not sure what would fit it. Was looking at this but wondering if it is the right size, or if it would work? Hayward Trimline 2-Way Ball Valve

IMG_1759.jpg

Sounds like a great idea. People have also put drain valves on the bum-style DE filters. Why the manufacturers don't is beyond me. So what if it costs an extra buck?

If it's standard pipe threads, have at it. You can even go cheap and use those plastic valves with the red handles that like to snap off so long as you don't lose the current plug. You'll open it a couple times a year. Why spend a bunch on a Jandy neverlube?

Or screw a threaded reducer in there and then a hose bib. Then you just connect a garden hose when you want to drain it and you know a hose bib can withstand the pressure no problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.