Should I open early in NY? Did not open last year.

George D

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2017
Bellmore, NY
Hi all,

I have a few questions.
Should I open early, about mid April? I'm guessing the pool water will still be green even with the cold temperature, due to not opening last year. Maybe a good idea to get a head start.

I read in another thread that someone who did not open their pool for 2 years, had trouble getting clear water because it had foam on top, possibly ammonia and someone recommended to remove some of the pool water and add fresh water.
Should I do the same? if so, how many gallons?

As recommended here, I use the BBB method but when I am Slamming and clearing a swamp is it possible to use shock chlorine instead of liquid bleach? I am aware it is against the Pool School instructions but is there any powdered or granular chlorine out there that does not have stabilizer?

Is it easier to maintain a clear pool in the summer months with a bit higher FC level, say about 8-9 and CYA at 50-60 and/or maybe adding Polyquat 60 algaecide as a preventive measure? I had some black algae 2 seasons ago.

35k Gal, IG vinyl, Tagelus sand filter TA-60D, Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP, SP1610Z1M,
Laars Lite NG Heater, Taylor k-2006.

Before you make plans, you may want to look into the availability of liquid chlorine in your area. It seems to be scarce in some places.

Opening early is mainly to get the water before it goes green and is also dependent on how the pool was closed the previous season. In your case it doesn't matter because obviously it's a swamp. What does matter is to do the math in reverse. When do you want to swim and work backwards from there say 4 weeks. As jhonT said shop your LC first to see that you have enough to get through a full slam worse case scenario. Have your proper testing kit available something which isn't expired as you say you skipped a season. I like the TF-100 as many here have the same.

You'll need to drop some LC per slam level into the water and see if it doesn't disappear, but before that you have to get the water moving to see some of the levels where they're at and then make a determination.

Thanks. I will check for availability of LC. I recently purchased a complete refill of k-2006 from TFteskits, so I'm good there.
How about the foam and/or ammonia problem? If there is enough LC, should I remove water?

Check out the Liquid Chlorine Tracker to help find places selling it in your area and to report places you find that are selling it. Gives us a chance to help each other out. Liquid Chlorine Tracker - Trouble Free Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.