Should I install a union between pump and valve on the suction side?

Jul 27, 2012
The coupling nut that fastens the pump union onto the suction side of my Jandy pump has cracked. While it is not causing any problems yet - no air or water leakage - I obviously want to replace it as quickly as I can. My questions is whether or not it makes sense to put a union in between the pump and the valve, since I have to cut PVC to stick on the replacement coupling nut? I only have approximately 6” of pipe from the valve to the pump, so there isn’t much room. Having a union in between would make any potential future coupling nut replacements far easier. I have the Jandy replacement part already in hand (R0446101), although I only need the nut but it comes with a new tail piece and o-ring which are handy to have.

Thanks for any input you guys & gals might have. I *think* this is the right thing to do here but would love some comments from those of you out in the real world. This site/forum is easily the best cumulative resource of any possible DIY topic in the world that I have ever visited. Love it!

Hi, welcome to TFP! I'm in favor of unions between every piece of equipment when possible! So much easier to pull something to make repairs or replace if needed when you have unions.

OK that makes sense. I did consider the possibility of the coupling nut on the newly introduced union breaking in the future (however unlikely maybe?) and being in the same boat as I am now with having to cut anyway. A threaded union would solve that problem. I guess a threaded one takes up more room since you have to glue additional threaded ends onto the existing pipes, right? If that is the case, I may not actually have enough room to squeeze that on - will have to check out some YouTube how-tos and see what my Lowes and HD have to work with.

I dont worry so much about the coupling nuts on unions breaking... I worry about how many times I can open the pvc union and that little O-ring survive. I have a galvanized union on my water well that is over 38 yrs old and it still seals up. However it does not have an O-ring.
Because I know I would never find another O-ring and by the time it fails they will be making pvc unions just a little differently anyway.. I am getting older and dont want to have to redo everything if something breaks anymore.. Hopefully you can figure out how to get all the pieces to fit in the small space that you have... Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.