Should I cut my solar pool cover?

I heat and use my pool year round. We put a solar blanket on the pool about 2 months ago and the result was a savings of about $400.00 per month in gas!!! But taking it on and off is a hassle. Currently we have it weighed down with stones. Would it work as effectively and be easier to manage if we cut it to the shape of the pool? We do have a reel. F8D52E1D-F75B-49C9-B521-E3E743397F97.jpeg

Attachments

• A97FB76E-BE46-44F0-AB21-CAF3F3661B34.jpeg
    A97FB76E-BE46-44F0-AB21-CAF3F3661B34.jpeg
    655.1 KB · Views: 35
Yes, or eventually those stones will end up at the bottom of the pool. Don't ask how I know. I was lucky, no damage. If you have a vinyl liner it can be catastrophic if that happens, but even plaster can get screwed up by falling rocks that size. The surface tension of the water will keep it stuck to the pool even in high winds. Rocks will not. It's pretty easy to do carefully with a box cutter and scissors, don't be afraid to do it, it's actually easier than it looks.

Look through the threads here for rollers for odd-shaped pools that are like "the Solar Roller". There is a good DIY thread on this. I am going to cut mine in half in the spring and roll in two pieces. If you do this correctly you can use ABS pipe for floaters on each piece and tie them together to keep one side from blowing open. But it's then much more manageable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franny P
I believe solar covers are meant to be cut to fit and floated on the pool. Not meant to be used as you are, as a weighted pool cover or tarp.
Cutting it into two or three pieces to make it easier to manage is something I never thought of. I think I'll do that.

If a high wind comes through, if an edge isn’t laying on the water it will grab it. Better a little too small than too large.

Yes definitely cut it to the shape of the pool. It works just as well, looks better, and won't blow away. We have an odd shape triangular pool. Our covers last about 3 years. When we replace them we buy a rectangular shaped piece, lay it over the whole pool, then go around the edge with kitchen scissors. We try to get a tightish fit but having some gap at the edges isn't a big issue. For water testing I pull back a corner. I also run my Dolphin cleaner under the cover.

Last edited:
I believe solar covers are meant to be cut to fit and floated on the pool. Not meant to be used as you are, as a weighted pool cover or tarp.
Cutting it into two or three pieces to make it easier to manage is something I never thought of. I think I'll do that.
Did you end up cutting your solar cover into pieces?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.