Should I add Muratic Acidto decrease pH?

Hachu

Bronze Supporter
Aug 11, 2020
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
👋

Temp: 81°
FC: 8
CYA:75-80
pH: 7.8
TA: 70

I just added 44oz of 12.5% of liquid chlorine to raise FC to 12ppm.
I'm curious if I should add Muratic Acid to lower my pH? I wouldn't want muratic acid to lower my TA since it is in a good range right?

You would need to also know your current calcium hardness and then plug the numbers into Pool Math to determine your CSI. Keeping that between -.3 and +.3 is the target since it seems you don't have a SWCG. Adjust pH as needed to do that. Don't worry about TA unless it gets below 50.

You would need to also know your current calcium hardness and then plug the numbers into Pool Math to determine your CSI. Keeping that between -.3 and +.3 is the target since it seems you don't have a SWCG. Adjust pH as needed to do that. Don't worry about TA unless it gets below 50.
Calcium Hardness was at 390 two days ago. CSI according to Pool Math app is 0.06. So, that sounds good. I guess I'll just leave pH as is. pH has been going up so I was nervous that it will keep on going up.

pH will probably tend upwards depending on the TA of your fill water and how much swimming and water features you have creating aeration of the water. AS your TA gets driven lower the pH rise will diminish. No problem with a pH in the 7's.

pH will probably tend upwards depending on the TA of your fill water and how much swimming and water features you have creating aeration of the water. AS your TA gets driven lower the pH rise will diminish. No problem with a pH in the 7's.
Thank you. Aeration cause the pH room rise right? Maybe less water features on?

Hachu, your numbers are looking really good. And scottts is giving you excellent advice. You can minimize aeration to stabilize your pH, and use less acid that way, or you can run your water features to your heart's content and use a little more acid to keep your pH in the upper 7s. Either way is fine for your pool. There's no harm in enjoying your water features as long as you maintain your pH (and CSI).

Reactions: Hachu and scottts
Hachu, your numbers are looking really good. And scottts is giving you excellent advice. You can minimize aeration to stabilize your pH, and use less acid that way, or you can run your water features to your heart's content and use a little more acid to keep your pH in the upper 7s. Either way is fine for your pool. There's no harm in enjoying your water features as long as you maintain your pH (and CSI).
Thank you! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.