Shotcrete to Plaster Question

hollywoodfrodo

Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
Lakewood, CA
So our pool build had shotcrete on Monday. Now I'm trying to get a fuller understanding of what the shotcrete/gunite provides versus what the plaster provides and adds.

The overall shape and layout of the pool from the shotcrete is darn near perfection when you stand back and look at it as a whole. However, when I look closer (as I'm watering it twice a day) I see a LOT of imperfections. And I don't fully understand if those are expected and things that get fixed with plaster.

Things like there is a ton of what I would call shotcrete debris or shotcrete rocks/gravel all over the place. Or small dips/crevices in a surface that in the end should be smooth and flat. Or an edge/corner that seems rougher than I'd want in the end. Are these things that the plaster can make up for?

I'm assuming so since the builder didn't express any concerns, but am curious to hear what people here have experienced in terms of how much difference there is between the pool at the shotcrete/gunite shell stage and the final post-plaster stage.

Last edited:
shotcrete creates general shape and structure and should be rough for the plaster to have something to stick to.

plaster is the smooth waterproof layer and may end up thicker in areas than you would think to give the final desired contours.

There should not be debris in the pool, likely that will get cleaned out prior to plaster.

It will all get sorted at/by plaster. We had lots of little balls of concrete everywhere after it was shot. Lots of gunk in the pool. Plus over time it stained from rain, and soil through the unsealed gaps around the returns. We have handprints and all sorts of little perfections. These will be sorted at pebble. It’s just a rough shell. How long will your shell cure for and how many times a day are you watering?

We have handprints and all sorts of little perfections.

lol - I didn't mention it, but yeah, there's a handprint in out steps that I was concerned about. Good to know my suspicions were correct about plaster taking care of that stuff.

PB said plaster would be in about 2 weeks. We're watering it twice a day plus I think the weather is ideal as it's been mostly overcast and cool and higher humidity than normal for us. Yesterday it got watered three times cause the Project Manager stopped by and watered midday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.